SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The French Connection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The French Connection Login/Join 
posted
Watching it tonight. I know it came up recently in thread about the best chase scenes. But beyond that, what a great movie. Taut and tense, and every moment of every scene counts; the mark of a good screenplay (ok, I come to it from the perspective of screenwriter), and great direction. Whenever I see it in my movie list, I pass over it as, yes, great flick, but I've seen it a bunch of times and I'm not in the mood. Tonight I didn't pass it by.

P.S. How refreshing to see something not sullied by political correctness!

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Great movie. I always feel the cold when Popeye is outside watching Frog 1 inside that warm restaurant enjoying a great meal.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Great movie. I always feel the cold when Popeye is outside watching Frog 1 inside that warm restaurant enjoying a great meal.

Exactly the scene I was getting to tonight, and I was noticing the same thing; you could feel the cold from across the room.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Yeah, the way that guy looks at Popeye...WTF?!

posted Hide Post
Thought it was kind of cool, that the real Popeye had a part in the movie.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Thought it was kind of cool, that the real Popeye had a part in the movie.

Yep. Eddie Egan playing Hackman's superior, Simonson.

Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I've watched it many times. A great movie. I read the paperback book several times in high school. I have to check, I might still have the book.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only thing I didn't like about the movie is it just ...ends. I've got no problems with ending with a downer (like Chinatown) or the bad guy wins, but just falls flat. Doyle shoots his gun, runs into an empty room, and then we get a montage showing what happened to everyone involved. Surely, there could have been a better way to handle that.

Speaking of which, what everyone's thoughts of French Connection 2? I tried watching it and turned it off after the opening raid where Doyle outs an informant and gets him killed. I like John Frankenheimer, but to think Popeye Doyle, who's worked with informants in the first movie, flags one trying to escape while the French police are telling him to stop is some lazy writing.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

...Speaking of which, what everyone's thoughts of French Connection 2? ...

I've only seen it once, and it was a while ago, so I don't remember it well. I do recall a fair amount of time spent on Hoffman's bout with heroin. And that it wasn't nearly as gripping a film as the first. It may have been absorbing, though, with a different pace. I'd have to watch it again.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
First film was based on a true story, the second was total fiction - and it shows.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

First thing I thought of.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
FC II frankly.....sucks.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
First film was based on a true story...
Correct. Popeye wasn't going to catch Charnier at the end of the film and then give him a great Clint Eastwood/Arnold Schwarzenegger catch phrase line while he tosses him off a building. The film gives you a dry reading of the fates of all the principal characters because, that's the way the case ended up. Unlike a contrived action film, real life dictated that most of those involved in this case got off light. It's difficult to make a spectatcular ending out of that.

The French Connection and Lawrence of Arabia both have endings which are difficult to remember because in the case of these films, the journey is far more entertaining than the destination.

BTW, regarding The French Connection II, you can see the fiction writer's hand quite clearly in the ending of the film, giving viewers the ending they fully expected in the first film.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re-watching II currently (a couple-few nights during dinner)...My jury is still out on it, but I will say, just saw a great scene with Hackman in the lock-away room recovering from his bout with heroin. Henri, the French cop who is his counterpart is visiting him and brings a bottle of cognac. If you're a Hackman fan, you'd love it; if you are not, you might become one. Hackman recounts a time in his youth when he was a ballplayer and tried out for the Yankees. The way he stumbles on the word "problem", in his drunken state, is beautiful. But he goes on to talk about the tryout and the competition. Happened to be a guy named Mickey Mantle. Made him decide to be a cop. Great bit.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Coming on in a few minutes, on TCM

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Followed by To Live and Die in LA. Great car chase in that one too. Got both set to record, although I’ve seen both many times.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Growing up in the CT suburbs of New York in the 1970s, that movie captured exactly how I remembered NYC.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
P.S. How refreshing to see something not sullied by political correctness!

A long rested thread, but still I don't want to take it too far off course... but it reminded me of something I chuckled at the other day, but didn't think was worthy of its own thread.

I'm kind of laid up, so spending lots of time watching old movies and trying not to move. Back to back last weekend I watched Khartoum, followed by Valdez is coming. Laurence Olivier in dark makeup as the Mahdi and Burt Lancaster in dark makeup, doing a questionable Mexican's accent. Hollywood today, that would not happen. And if it did, people's heads would explode.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the film in years, but it is a fine picture.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post