SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert--The Getaway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert--The Getaway Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
The Getaway with Steve McQueen, Ali McGraw, and Ben Johnson (Peckinpah) will be shown this afternoon at 1545 MDT.

Screenwriter, Walter Hill said: "I thought of the films I wrote, I thought it was far and away the best one, and most interesting."

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
The Jim Thompson novel on which the movie is very loosely based is worth reading. Very disquieting story that starts out a hardboiled crime caper -- almost like a Richard Stark/Donald Westlake "Parker" novel -- and turns into a dystopian horror tale that Stephen King might have written.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching. Check it out here: A great cast, including Al Lettieri ("The Turk" from The Godfather).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great movie.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That dude can handle a shotgun. Great film.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the Colt Python that the Lettieri character used?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
...and the 1911 that McQueen's character favored

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
Awesome Steve McQueen movie.

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Al Lettieri was my favorite move bad guy. He did the best meltdowns. Too bad he died at 49.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the end when Steve and Ali are crossing into Mexico with Slip Pickens and he tells Mexican customs his junk is building material for Chihuahua !

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
Al Lettieri was my favorite move bad guy. He did the best meltdowns. Too bad he died at 49.

From what I've read, Lettieri was just as intimidating in real life as he was known to have Mafia connections .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I know Al Lettieri has been beat up and killed by the best in several great flicks.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thought I would update this thread rather than start a new one.

Tomorrow night TCM is showing four Steve McQueen movies:

-- Bullitt at 7pm
-- Sand Pebbles at 9pm
-- Cincinnati Kid at 12:30am
-- Nevada Smith at 2:30am

(Times are Central)

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Thought I would update this thread rather than start a new one.

Tomorrow night TCM is showing four Steve McQueen movies:

-- Bullitt at 7pm
-- Sand Pebbles at 9pm
-- Cincinnati Kid at 12:30am
-- Nevada Smith at 2:30am

(Times are Central)

Thanks for the head's up. Just set the DVR.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ali McGraw Eek Wink

It's too bad that what we saw on screen from McQueen was art imitating life.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rich

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Ali McGraw Eek Wink

It's too bad that what we saw on screen from McQueen was art imitating life.

The thing about Ali McGraw was that her beauty was so distracting, that you had to see 3-4 of her movies before you realized that she couldn't act. I saw a recent interview with her, where she stated she never had any formal training in acting. I wanted to say "we noticed".

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
McQueen was indeed the very 'King of Cool' to be sure. Of the four films listed, I caught the Cincinnati Kid. Great ensemble-cast, as with most McQueen films. Stand-out performances by Edward G. Robinson, Karl Malden, Joan Blondell, and Rip Torn. Ann-Margret, and Tuesday Weld were worth the admission-price alone. Along with the jazzy, Lalo Schifrin score.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post