SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    “The Magic Pill” on Netflix.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“The Magic Pill” on Netflix. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
I used to think it was a bunch of hippie crap until my brothers recent diagnosis, treatment, and current remission of Stage4 Renal Cell carcinoma. Here’s a hint, stage 4 renal cell carcinoma and remission has been two terms that never go together.

In a clinical trial, his physical medicine doctor told him about Keto, Fasting, Autophagy, etc. They basically came to the same conclusion as the documentary.

I am a cynics cynic when it comes to these things but Keto and intermittent fasting has become my way of living. I have lost 30 LBS in 2.5 months. I’m pushing fasts to 18-20 hours. Gonna do a 24 soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I watched it. I had been keto for about a year when I watched. I hope it stays on for a long time. I'm not quite OMAD (one meal day) more like 1.5 meals a day. Haven't eaten breakfast for quite a while. butter and coconut oil coffee is my breakfast I guess.

I came to this from an anti-inflammatory low insulin perspective via Dr. Rhonda Patrick and many others. I'm off anything that would require a doctors prescription and feel I could go another 40+ years not listening to Government nutrition advise Mad

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Watching it now, thanks.

The autism stuff is enlightening.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
word is getting out. the gov created the diabesity epidemic.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. I have done keto for about a year. I am attempting a little fasting and I am curious about going to the one meal a day WOE. I am just not sure I could eat that much in one meal. I am afraid I would undercut my calories and go into starvation mode. How do you guys that do one meal a day get er done?

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I do 2 meals. Only on specific days do I stretch it.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Yeah two works well. Still curious about the one though.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
Good stuff. I have done keto for about a year. I am attempting a little fasting and I am curious about going to the one meal a day WOE. I am just not sure I could eat that much in one meal. I am afraid I would undercut my calories and go into starvation mode. How do you guys that do one meal a day get er done?
seems to me that consecutive omad tends to slow bmr, and mixing it up is the key - keeping the intermittent in fasting. my omads happen between 2 and 3 meal days, and works with weight drops (i'm in maintenance, at and maintaining goal weight). as with n=1 - some benefit from consecutive omads with no problems, and some see a stall [shrugs]. this is from Dr. Jason Fung's IDM email on OMAD:
quote:
Let’s talk OMAD (a.k.a. One Meal a Day).

A day does not go by at IDM where we’re not asked about OMAD. It’s a very popular subject and for many people who work 9-5 M-F, it meshes nicely into their lifestyles as they can eat their one meal with their families after work.

But many are also shocked to learn it is not a form of fasting as we define it. It’s actually a form of eating; eating one meal a day.

The problem with OMAD is in its repetition. Eating one meal a day is a pattern easily recognized by the body and by doing the same behavior every day, the body does what it does naturally; it adapts. And it’s this adaptation that causes the rub; the body simply slows its Base Metabolic Rate (BMR).

At first when you start OMAD, the BMR stays very high. But after a while BMR inevitably slows down because it does take the body some time to adapt, but it does. First with energy levels, then with other metabolic operations and at some point, as we see quite consistently, BMR just slows down, and the inevitable plateau follows.

If you are trying to lose weight, this is not a good situation. In fact, what we need is just the opposite; a way to speed up BMR. SO how can we do this? There are a few ways…

Alternate Day Fasting, mixing up fasting patterns during the week, and finally longer fasts. OMAD, coupled with a day or two of skipping meals altogether will do it too.

Confounding this argument, there are some instances where OMAD will work. First, there is the person who only has 20-30 pounds to lose. In this case, OMAD works well. Next, there is the class of people who have NO history of yo-yo dieting. The third group are those who are at goal weight, and OMAD is just a good way to do weight maintenance.

Fast on, my friends! Don’t get caught in the OMAD trap! Mix it up; try alternate day fasts; don’t be afraid to join a group fast.
lots of info on fasting at Fung's IDM blog.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
That’s great information. Thank you! Looks like a mixture would be good for me until I reach my most comfortable body feel. I say it that way because weight is not a good indicator on keto for me. I am not far off from it now. Then it will just be figuring out what works to maintain.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
fasting, ketogenic diet(ing), low carb = autophagy. what? more info:

How to renew your body: Fasting and autophagy 10-5-2016, By Dr. Jason Fung

- - -

Dr. Boz vid

posted Hide Post
Atkins was trying to tell everybody for decades to cutout the carbs, sugars, processed foods and crap from their diets. My blood sugar had gotten out of control and within 3 weeks of doing hard core low carb - 2 meals a day - it was back in the normal range.

When I was a kid back in the 70s no kids were fat. There was only the odd kid out of a school of 2000 that was chunky. Now days fat kids are everywhere. The governments diet pyramid and the low fat/non-fat craze in the 80s and 90s took out all the fat, but it replaced it with sugar.

Simple rule of thumb - If it comes in a box - don’t eat it.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Atkins was trying to tell everybody for decades to cutout the carbs, sugars, processed foods and crap from their diets. My blood sugar had gotten out of control and within 3 weeks of doing hard core low carb - 2 meals a day - it was back in the normal range.

When I was a kid back in the 70s no kids were fat. There was only the odd kid out of a school of 2000 that was chunky. Now days fat kids are everywhere. The governments diet pyramid and the low fat/non-fat craze in the 80s and 90s took out all the fat, but it replaced it with sugar.

Simple rule of thumb - If it comes in a box - don’t eat it.

+

The problem with Atkins was that with a lot of people, the protein component was not controlled.

Unlimited protein can be converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis. Protein, while not near as restricted as carbs, still needs to be limited. It’s a pretty good amount but if you start replacing the carbs with too much protein, you aren’t accomplishing anything.

You can spike glucose/insulin on too much protein.

Keto operates on limiting insulin.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
Protein can go either way with insulin. If you eat protein with carbs, insulin will spike more than just for the carbs due to the combo of the 2. Protein without carbs doesn’t spike insulin.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:

Fasting doesn’t put your body into “starvation mode” well, until your bf gets so low you are starving. Wink Fasting actually increases metabolism as shown in multiple studies.

I did OMAD and ran 16 miles in a fasted state today just because it is how my day worked out. No energy issues. Don’t know or care how many calories my meal was, if it was low i sadly have plenty of fat to get more cals from!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The wife and I started keto 5 weeks ago. Thanks for posting this as it confirms a lot of what we're figuring out. It's been a revelation.

I posted recently about how she'd get hangry with late meals and it doesn't happen any more. I'm going to try to introduce her to fasting next.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
The problem with Atkins was that with a lot of people, the protein component was not controlled.
n=1

i started lchf with atkins induction (20g or < carbs a day) and didn't have a problem with protein. have not counted a calorie in my life. coupled with intermittent fasting and TRE (time-restriced eating), the fat (adipose) / lbs / inches melted away.

from Fatty Liver Disease and Ketogenic Diets:
quote:
Lack of Saturated Fat Consumption: At least two studies, one from Duke University, and one from Cambridge University have shown that reducing carbohydrate consumption and increasing saturated fat intake helps the liver shed excess fat in as little as three days.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The wife and I started keto 5 weeks ago. Thanks for posting this as it confirms a lot of what we're figuring out. It's been a revelation.

I posted recently about how she'd get hangry with late meals and it doesn't happen any more. I'm going to try to introduce her to fasting next.
awesome. a couple of invaluable forum resources:

lowcarber

lcneighborhood

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Dr. Sarah Hallberg on the Beetus

TCB all the time...