SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    stephen king books and his liberal bombs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stephen king books and his liberal bombs Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
i'm sick of his fkn' shit. hillary this. trump that. if he'd lay off the politics i'd continue to read his books - they're great - until the bullshit that doesn't need to be there. the institute - obummer (twice) hillarity (twice). the outsider - sos (same ole shit).

no more. you'd think i'd've learned by now.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I was still in high school when I started reading/collecting SK. I used to enjoy his works and bought most all of SK's earlier books in first edition hardback. Somewhere in the early 2000s he got long-winded and just plain started boring me. By the late 2000s I quit reading his books as they no longer interested me.

Once SK started mouthing off and pushing libtard politics I decided that I would never purchase anything of his again. I'm at the point now that it's unlikely I'll reread any of his works so it's past time to unload the collection. SK's earlier books do stand on their own merit but now when I walk by my bookcase seeing them kinda just pisses me off.

The self-anointed elite love to lecture the hoi polloi. Roll Eyes Well, the hoi polloi uncourteously invites SK to go unkindly go ficken himself.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This is just like actors and their political BS. I don’t give half a shit.

If I like your movies, I watch them.

If I like your books, I read them.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I came to this realization with his political crap in 2007 when I stopped reading King's novels altogether. I think it was with Lisey's Story where I mid-read slammed the book shut, threw it down, and said no more of his crap.

And I credit Stephen King for the author who made me fall in love with books at the age of around 14.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan. He is a wacko

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
The Stand was superb. The Shining was good also. But I'm halfway thru The Institute and it's so sophomoric and far fetched that the only reason I'm continuing to read it is to see how much worse it can get. There are times where it's laugh out loud stupid.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"The Stand", especially the 1990 revision is one of my all time favorites. However, he will no longer get any of my money due to his wacky political rantings. He has gone off the rails.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
He made some comment while speaking on illiteracy that went something like "Well, if you can't read, I guess there is the military for a job."

King's books were easily the most popular and passed around in my platoon.

After that remark I decided I'd never knowingly spend another penny on his books/movies/etc.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember really liking his books in the late 80's and early 90's. Then he got afflicted by that syndrome where an author gets popular enough they can bully the editor and the books get wordy.

The last one I really remember liking was "from a Buick 8". I read the end of the Dark Tower Series when he finally finished it and was disappointing. At least I don't have to concern myself with his politics because his books kinda suck.

The same thing has happened to George R R Martin. I might read The winds of Winter, but I don't have high expectations.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm only bothered by an author or actor when their personal views are reflected in the characters in their novels or on the screen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read the end of the Dark Tower Series when he finally finished it and was disappointing.

Well, he did tell you to stop at the first ending and not continue!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently read my first SK novel ever, Dr. Sleep. It was good, and better than the movie, which was pretty good. I then read a pretty light SK book, Fun Land, which while predictable in the end, was well-written and entertaining.

I started watching The Outsider on HBO, which I enjoy, though they are dragging it out. So I started reading the book. A few anti-Trump digs here and there, but only to level of annoying, not distracting. To give SK credit, great premise for a book so late in his career. And it is very good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
He has himself a scorching case of TDS to go along with his leftist worldview. I do hope he finds some satisfaction in alienating a large swath of potential readers. I grew up loving the guys work and was prepared to give him a pass for his idiocy until he started inserting his political nonsense directly into his novels.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Didn't he get hit by a truck or something in the late 90's? Maybe that's when he weirded out.

I guess I got lucky. I read about 80% of his stuff up until about 1995. Then I didn't read anything for a great while.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
King wrote and published a non-fiction essay called Guns. Even if I was interested, I wouldn't read it since proceeds go to the Brady Campaign.

Here's a piece he wrote after Sandy Hook. His view in a nutshell: I have nothing against gun owners, sport shooters, or hunters, but semi-automatic weapons have only two purposes. One is so that owners can take them to the shooting range once in awhile, yell yeehaw and get all horny at the rapid fire and the burning vapour spurting from the end of the barrel. Their other use – their only other use – is to kill people.

I quit buying his stuff years ago because the quality of his product was slipping. I still enjoy his older work.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
King wrote and published a non-fiction essay called Guns. Even if I was interested, I wouldn't read it since proceeds go to the Brady Campaign.

Here's a piece he wrote after Sandy Hook. His view in a nutshell: I have nothing against gun owners, sport shooters, or hunters, but semi-automatic weapons have only two purposes. One is so that owners can take them to the shooting range once in awhile, yell yeehaw and get all horny at the rapid fire and the burning vapour spurting from the end of the barrel. Their other use – their only other use – is to kill people.

I quit buying his stuff years ago because the quality of his product was slipping. I still enjoy his older work.

As someone who makes his living as a writer, you'd think his grammar would be better. It's not "once in awhile." The proper form is "once in a while." Stupid, leftist, anti-gun prick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Can't say I've ever even given his political thoughts a second glance, maybe not even a first.

I just read his books on occasion. Nothing else he says or does really matters to me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I was getting ready to say exactly this. I loved the first 4 books of the gunslinger. And the Stand. To me his shit took a stark, and unwelcomed, left hand turn after his accident. In more ways than one.

quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Didn't he get hit by a truck or something in the late 90's? Maybe that's when he weirded out.

I guess I got lucky. I read about 80% of his stuff up until about 1995. Then I didn't read anything for a great while.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
I read the end of the Dark Tower Series when he finally finished it and was disappointing.

Well, he did tell you to stop at the first ending and not continue!

the last one I tried to finish was when Roland and the kid were on the train going from one station to another,

seemed like that part of the story went on, and on, and on, and on, not sure how many pages but it was like he was stuck,

and when his books got more than 2" thick, and what seemed like 9 pages to describe a thing,

I gave up and stopped reading his work,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
"The Stand", especially the 1990 revision is one of my all time favorites. However, he will no longer get any of my money due to his wacky political rantings. He has gone off the rails.

Totally agree. The first issue of The Stand was great. The revised version was even better. Some of his other early books (including the Bachman books) were very good.

But then he started getting very “wordy”. The pages of the books grew while the quality shrank. Then he got “woke” and his stuff was insufferable.

I’ve reread The Stand, but won’t touch anything he’s written in the last 20 years.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post