SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New to podcasts... looking for recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to podcasts... looking for recommendations Login/Join 
posted
I want to start getting into podcasts but dont really know where to start.

I looking for something that covers multiple topics of randomness.

I just started listen to Joe Rogan and it seems promising.

What else is out there?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are 3 pages of them in another thread,
Just use the search function and
Use the word podcasts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Graham Ledger, formerly of OANN has started his podcast...

http://grahamledger.com/podcast/

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Mike Rowe's podcast, The Way I Heard It.

Dennis Miller has a podcast called The Dennis Miller Option.

I love old radio shows and have downloaded Gunsmoke, Six Shooter, and Fort Laramie from otrwesterns.

I listen to ESPN's 30 for 30 podcast when the subject interests me.

Sometimes I catch the Freakonomics podcast.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Crenshaw

Dave Rubin

Jocko Willink

There's so much good stuff out there there's not enough time to listen to even half of it.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Dan Carlin Hardcore History. He’s got a 6 or 7 hour podcast on WW1 which is phenomenal.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan Carlin Hardcore History.

Agreed, this podcast was one of the first series in which I got immersed. I bought access to his whole library (1-49 at the time) as a package deal (only recent ones are free) and it was one of the best purchases I've made in an entertainment/education realm.

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Hardcore History is my favorite podcast, by far.

Dan Carlin also has a political podcast titled "Common Sense".

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Dan Carlin here.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Beyond that, really try to narrow down by what interests you have. For example the only sports ones I follow are a couple for college football and F1 racing. Wife has a couple "mystery" story podcasts, etc.

As mentioned the inventory is infinite, so once you test some by interest don't follow ones that aren't good for you and find others.

The Hardcore History one is good regardless of your interest in history BTW.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also hardcore history addendum. A bit shorter, generally just as good.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in the military and law enforcement associations with current political events, you'd be well served by subscribing to:

Bryan Suits' "Dark Secret Place" at Connectpal.com (Due to legal issues associated with his employment at KFI radio in Los Angeles, future membership is going to be curtailed soon, so I'd get a membership ASAP.)

Dan Bongino's podcast is good and can give you some real interesting political info associated with the attempt to unlawfully remove President Trump from office.

Just The News is an excellent source of info from actual journalists: John Solomon and Sharyl Attkisson.

Red Pilled America

Things Police See

Law Enforcement Today

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Painkiller Already

Notable because one of the hosts is FPS Russia, one of the early gun channels on YouTube. He's really funny. He's like your buddy that has no filter. He went to prison recently for 2 months over some drug charges and his prison stories are hilarious. A lot of their talk is about online gaming. NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlPCerbnfcI

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've really been enjoying The Portal with Eric Weinstein. Warning this guy is not a conservative. He is fiercely intelligent. Dip your toe in and listen to the first episode where he interviews his boss Peter Thiel. Then listen to episode 19 with his brother Bret. You'll never look at research science in the same way. He interviews a wide variety of people. Some names you'll know. A couple have been kinda weird but for the most part its really good.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hardcore History is excellent, and certain Rogan guests are very good.

quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I've really been enjoying The Portal with Eric Weinstein. Warning this guy is not a conservative. He is fiercely intelligent. Dip your toe in and listen to the first episode where he interviews his boss Peter Thiel. Then listen to episode 19 with his brother Bret. You'll never look at research science in the same way. He interviews a wide variety of people. Some names you'll know. A couple have been kinda weird but for the most part its really good.

Yeah. They're an interesting pair, the Weinsteins ("stines", not "steens", for those who don't know, like Harvey, not Jeffrey, pronunciation-wise).

I also enjoy the following scientists who have at least appeared on Rogan, and some of whom have their own porcasts and/or have spoken elsewhere: Sean Carroll, Brain Greene, Brian Cox, Lex Friedman, Laurence Krauss, Andrew Huberman, even Elongated Muskrat is worth watching to see what he thinks.

Also, both appearances on Rogan of Jack Dorsey (the head of Twitter) and their in-house Counsel in one of them, as they respond to allegations of bias in their censorship and such. Interesting insights.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Last Rogan I listened to was Rob Lowe. I enjoyed that one he's an interesting cat.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Nearly anything by WONDERY is good.

Mike Rowe
Mike Drop
Sean Ryan

Dr Death was good

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to check out Hardcore History. Thanks. I listen to Dan Bongino and Warriors, in their own words. Good stuff.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
There's of course my personal co-host, The Adam Carolla Show along with the rest of the Carolla Digital family, I'm particular to The Adam and Dr. Drew Show for my Loveline facsimile, and Reasonable Doubt with Mark Geragos. Might not agree with what's being said, but it ain't dumb.

If you're interested in the Cold War, or Soviet history, or eastern European politics, check out The Eastern Border. His Man of Steel series about Stalin is pretty good. It's just some dude from Latvia, so if you wanna throw him a couple bucks, that would be super dope too.

Of course, as already mentioned, Hardcore History. It's well worth the price for the older shows.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Yeah. They're an interesting pair, the Weinsteins ("stines", not "steens", for those who don't know, like Harvey, not Jeffrey, pronunciation-wise).

German language trivia time!

An easy way to gauge pronunciation in cases like this is to look at the E and I pairing.

In German ei/ie pairings, whichever letter comes last is dominant in the pronunciation.

So "ei" is pronounced as if a long I. And "ie" is pronounced as if a long E.

So stien is pronounced "steen", while stein is pronounced "stine".

(And my parents said that 3 years of German in high school, and another 3 in college, would never be useful... Who's laughing now, Mom?)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post