SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Trekkies... A few questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trekkies... A few questions Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The appeal of DS9 wasn't it wasn't just about the Federation aboard a ship. You had diverse characters, not just Federation Officers; there were former underground fighters, neutral constable, a smuggler, a spy, diplomats, reporters etc. All of them from very diverse cultures and had excellent character backgrounds.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
7 of nine is beautiful. But I liked the Doctor most of all. just a good character

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS9 and Garak were great. I'll agree that he was one of the most interesting characters in any version of Star Trek. He often was talking about himself when he was describing someone in his history. Lethal, deceptive and ultimately tragic and sympathetic.

"You would shoot a man in the back?"

"Well, it is the safest way."

Voyager was a wasted opportunity - such a good premise, executed weakly. I feel bad for the actors since they could have done so much more with what they had, if given the opportunity.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Agreed with all pros stated regarding DS9.

Also, I'll see your 7 of 9 and raise you a T'pol.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Granted, she might not have had the same wow factor as T'Pol or Seven, but I always liked Ezri...

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
^^^ I wanted to see her blown out an airlock after 20 minutes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
![/QUOTE] There are only two possible reasons that Voyager would be your favorite.

[/QUOTE]

Whats the other reason? Wink Big Grin

I'm looking at the picture, and I definitely count 2 reasons.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I finally saw the last film, Star Trek: Beyond, last night, after skipping it in the theaters back in ‘16 upon hearing mediocre reviews, and those reviews were spot on. The thing was a loud, unnecessarily confusing mess. As a Trek fan, I do hope the franchise gets another shot on the big screen, but they’re going to need to do better than Beyond.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes Beyond was a suck fest.

Man, its painful watching Sisko, his acting is horrendous.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Be patient. He has some fantastic moments.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
True. But I like DS9 despite Avery Brooks' (over)acting, not because of it.

If you've ever seen an interview with the guy, you can see he comes by it naturally. The man's an odd duck...

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Direkt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
True. But I like DS9 despite Avery Brooks' (over)acting, not because of it.

If you've ever seen an interview with the guy, you can see he comes by it naturally. The man's an odd duck...

Yeah. I'd say that Brooks is a great actor. After observing him off camera, the fact that he can come across as sane and lucid as he is portraying Sisko is amazing. Big Grin

Posts: 461 | Location: South Jordan, UT | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Yes, go watch "The Captains" where all the captains of each series were interviewed by Shatner. Brooks' segment was the most...interesting. Eek

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
Yes, go watch "The Captains" where all the captains of each series were interviewed by Shatner. Brooks' segment was the most...interesting. Eek

How so?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
See for yourself.

That deer in the headlight look on Shatner. I bet he regretted asking him such a profound question. It gets even better when he tried to play along and sings with Brooks. Big Grin

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
A detail about Garak occurred to me while watching DS9. The actor who portrayed him, Andrew Robinson, was Scorpio from Dirty Harry.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that interview conducted in the insane asylum that Brooks was committed to?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Was that interview conducted in the insane asylum that Brooks was committed to?

Brooks was in an asylum?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, just kidding but after watching the interview I thought it might be a good place for him to be.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
dear lord, I am watching the DS9 series and frickin Lwuxana Troi shows up. I cant stand her damn character.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post