SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Trekkies... A few questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trekkies... A few questions Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
dear lord, I am watching the DS9 series and frickin Lwuxana Troi shows up. I cant stand her damn character.

Yeah, she was perhaps the worst character in the entire Trek continuity. She first appeared as Troi's mother in Next Gen and then showed up in DS9 for some stupid reason (they did the same with Q - as much as I loved Q, he didn't 'fit' in with DS9, though I liked him in Voyager). Her character was loud, vain, obnoxious, and overbearing, with very few redeeming qualities. I just didn't like her.

I don't mind that she voiced the computers in pretty much all the Trek shows (from Next Gen through Voyager), but I HATED her character.

She was only in one good episode, IMO. It was the one with the scientist from the planet where all old people (not sure what age - 60 or 70?) were forced to commit suicide. Of course, David Ogden Steirs was outstanding in his role as the guy expected to kill himself, and luxwana wasn't as annoying as usual.

I typically skip every episode where she appears. I guess they think the die-hard Trekkies are supposed to love her, but as much as I respected her as a person (being Nurse Chapel on the Original Series), this did not translate into liking her character.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just realized that DS9 is now on the BBC. I've had my fill of Star Trek, and Voyager. Though I enjoyed both a lot, I've watched as many reruns as I can and know them too well.

Now the return of DS9, thats cool. I've been catching on on the series with the DVR the last couple of weeks. Watching the series now is like watching a new Star Trek show. I really enjoyed the recent last night and leaving off finding that the Founders of the Dominion were in fact Odo's shape shifting family (changelings) from the Omarion Nebula in the Gamma Quadrant. For a minute I thought Odo would return the the Great Link and get consumed but not surprised that he chose otherwise.

Odo's one of my favorites, though most all the characters like Garak are great actors. I'll be looking forward to more episodes.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I am working my way through DS9, since I bought a couple season's worth of DVDs (seasons 4 - 7). It's comical how many 'bad' episodes there are that I seemed to have forgotten. In fact, some of the episodes were 'new' to me, since I've never seen them up to this point. For example, I skipped right over the 'Troi's mother' episode, but watched the one where O'Brien suffers a 20-yr jail sentence (it took place over a couple days in real time, but in his brain, it was 20 yrs of almost solitary confinement). This one encompasses most of the 'badness' that I skip over; anything having to do with his bad-acting wife Keiko (I keep thinking that should be the name of a killer whale), his even WORSE acting daughter (if that were even possible), and it was a 'filler' episode while they conserved their SFX budget for the battle scenes later. Or, the one where Dr Bashir spends the entire episode with Garak in the holodeck. (I really HATE "holodeck episodes," with the possible exception of the one where they play baseball).

I'm still impressed with the acting, though. The characters of Sisko, Garak, Gul Dukat, and Odo are excellent, and I think the only reason they haven't gotten better acclaim is because they are in a sci-fi show. Dukat is perhaps the best tv show villain of all time.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying DS9 so far, Gul Dukat is an interesting character. Siskos acting is still bad but it's a good series

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Still have the DVR set and binge watch when I can.
I still can't wrap my head around Sisko calling Jadzia "Old Man".. Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
dear lord, I am watching the DS9 series and frickin Lwuxana Troi shows up. I cant stand her damn character.

Yeah, she was perhaps the worst character in the entire Trek continuity. She first appeared as Troi's mother in Next Gen and then showed up in DS9 for some stupid reason

The actress being Gene Roddenberry's wife might be a factor in this. She's also the voice of the computer, as I recall.

It ain't what you know, sometimes it's who you marry. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The replicators that make their food accepts discarded matter for recycling. Do they "recycle" their poop? Eek

"Neelix, my dinner tastes like crap."

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Funny, you should mention that, Seven of Nine. It's actually 'Number Two of Someone'..."

I'm going to bed now.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"Funny, you should mention that, Seven of Nine. It's actually 'Number Two of Someone'..."

I'm going to bed now.

Mike dropped.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
A detail about Garak occurred to me while watching DS9. The actor who portrayed him, Andrew Robinson, was Scorpio from Dirty Harry.

Funny when you mentioned that and I pictured Scorpio I suddenly realized he is also the dad in Hellraiser.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am enjoying DS9 so far, Gul Dukat is an interesting character. Siskos acting is still bad but it's a good series

Keep watching, resistance is futile.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sisko is probably the worst character.

IMO the show is worth watching just for Armin Shimerman's performance.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just finished the series.

- Why cant they design consoles that don't explode?
- Why cant they make a fail safe holo suite?
- Why isn't there a button on all ships to send a last known location message out before crashing on a remote planet?

I was liking Dukat but halfway through the series he became quite tiresome

Garak was a great character, the episode where they decide to get the Romulans involved in the war was pretty damn good, really showed his skills

The Alternate Universe was stupid. Horny Kira and evil bumbling Worf. Not to mention there is no way there could be a copy of everyone, history is totally different. An episode would be OK, but they kept going back.

For all the DS9 crew whining about section 31, they didn't seem to mind doing whatever shady shit they thought needed to be done when they felt like it.

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Sisko is probably the worst character.

Though I admit he got better as the series went on.

I'm a couple episodes from finishing the series for my second time.

My complaints, same as my first viewing (same as all Star Trek's?) Too much time line bullshit. Too much alternate universe. I chalk that up to lazy writing and running out of ideas. (though the one "TOS" timeline episode was fun, as was the "Roswell" type episode.)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Quark in the 50s was pretty funny

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Cisco is my favorite commanding officer from Star Trek.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I thought Damar was also an interesting character... He went from minor role to main role over the arc of the show, and was pivotal to the story.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm struggling to pay attention to the season. I don't remember it being this bad.