SIGforum
Trekkies... A few questions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/2330090564

January 05, 2020, 04:31 PM
jsbcody
Trekkies... A few questions
The appeal of DS9 wasn't it wasn't just about the Federation aboard a ship. You had diverse characters, not just Federation Officers; there were former underground fighters, neutral constable, a smuggler, a spy, diplomats, reporters etc. All of them from very diverse cultures and had excellent character backgrounds.
January 05, 2020, 04:48 PM
Ronin101
7 of nine is beautiful. But I liked the Doctor most of all. just a good character
January 06, 2020, 06:58 AM
White Phosphorus
DS9 and Garak were great. I'll agree that he was one of the most interesting characters in any version of Star Trek. He often was talking about himself when he was describing someone in his history. Lethal, deceptive and ultimately tragic and sympathetic.

"You would shoot a man in the back?"

"Well, it is the safest way."

Voyager was a wasted opportunity - such a good premise, executed weakly. I feel bad for the actors since they could have done so much more with what they had, if given the opportunity.

V.
January 06, 2020, 09:58 AM
apprentice
Agreed with all pros stated regarding DS9.

Also, I'll see your 7 of 9 and raise you a T'pol.

January 07, 2020, 10:46 PM
bobtheelf
Granted, she might not have had the same wow factor as T'Pol or Seven, but I always liked Ezri...

January 08, 2020, 08:57 AM
flesheatingvirus
^^^ I wanted to see her blown out an airlock after 20 minutes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
January 10, 2020, 11:18 AM
Fed161
![/QUOTE] There are only two possible reasons that Voyager would be your favorite.

[/QUOTE]

Whats the other reason? Wink Big Grin

I'm looking at the picture, and I definitely count 2 reasons.
January 10, 2020, 12:45 PM
at-home-daddy
I finally saw the last film, Star Trek: Beyond, last night, after skipping it in the theaters back in ‘16 upon hearing mediocre reviews, and those reviews were spot on. The thing was a loud, unnecessarily confusing mess. As a Trek fan, I do hope the franchise gets another shot on the big screen, but they’re going to need to do better than Beyond.
January 11, 2020, 04:45 PM
Lord Vaalic
Yes Beyond was a suck fest.

Man, its painful watching Sisko, his acting is horrendous.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
January 11, 2020, 11:13 PM
bobtheelf
Be patient. He has some fantastic moments.
January 12, 2020, 04:01 AM
RogueJSK
True. But I like DS9 despite Avery Brooks' (over)acting, not because of it.

If you've ever seen an interview with the guy, you can see he comes by it naturally. The man's an odd duck...
January 12, 2020, 05:53 PM
Direkt
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
True. But I like DS9 despite Avery Brooks' (over)acting, not because of it.

If you've ever seen an interview with the guy, you can see he comes by it naturally. The man's an odd duck...

Yeah. I'd say that Brooks is a great actor. After observing him off camera, the fact that he can come across as sane and lucid as he is portraying Sisko is amazing. Big Grin
January 13, 2020, 12:11 AM
Rawny
Yes, go watch "The Captains" where all the captains of each series were interviewed by Shatner. Brooks' segment was the most...interesting. Eek
January 13, 2020, 08:06 AM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
Yes, go watch "The Captains" where all the captains of each series were interviewed by Shatner. Brooks' segment was the most...interesting. Eek

How so?
January 13, 2020, 08:40 AM
Rawny
See for yourself.

That deer in the headlight look on Shatner. I bet he regretted asking him such a profound question. It gets even better when he tried to play along and sings with Brooks. Big Grin
January 20, 2020, 10:18 PM
tigereye313
A detail about Garak occurred to me while watching DS9. The actor who portrayed him, Andrew Robinson, was Scorpio from Dirty Harry.

January 21, 2020, 03:05 PM
sigspecops
Was that interview conducted in the insane asylum that Brooks was committed to?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
January 22, 2020, 03:16 PM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Was that interview conducted in the insane asylum that Brooks was committed to?

Brooks was in an asylum?
January 22, 2020, 04:26 PM
sigspecops
No, just kidding but after watching the interview I thought it might be a good place for him to be.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
January 23, 2020, 12:45 AM
Lord Vaalic
dear lord, I am watching the DS9 series and frickin Lwuxana Troi shows up. I cant stand her damn character.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day