SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted
Arlo Guthrhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM&t=100sie Thanksgiving tradition.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Arlo Guthrhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM&t=100sie Thanksgiving tradition.

Daughter and I sat at the dinner table feeding each other lyric lines and laughing. Nobody else at the table had a clue.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I grew up about 45 minutes south of there and remember when it came out.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I remember it well. My wife and I had just gotten married when we first heard it.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember well the first time I heard it on a progressive rock station in St. Louis. Still fun all these years later, but I always seem to forget to listen on Thanksgiving Day. Lived in Boston for a couple of years in the mid-eighties, and spent some time out in the Berkshires, including Stockbridge. Fun to gain a feel for the area that colored the song.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each..."

I actually used this quote in a post here a couple years back.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was driving home from a family Thanksgiving party, when I heard it on the radio. A classic I had not heard in quite a while.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Excepting Alice..."

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I usually listen to Alice's and other folk songs on the drive to my parents' house for T-day. Our own Sigmonkey, IIRC, was on the Group W bench in his location for a time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year was the 50 year anniversary of Alice’s Restaurant. Arlo went on a nation wide tour playing the song. While I missed that one, did get to see him this year.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post