SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I Really Like Trumpets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Really Like Trumpets Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Not so much as a featured instrument like Herb Alpert, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, or Louis Armstrong, but to enhance a song.

I posted earlier that we saw JJ Grey and Mofro recently. He’s got two trumpet players in the band and the keyboard player can play trumpet as well. They played the song posted below and when the trumpets came in I laughed out loud—it was perfect, then the solo outtro...more perfect.

Here are 3 songs that all feature a trumpet(s) to enhance the song. The trumpet player also does the outtro on the Flogging Molly song. You see him come onstage at 3:24 and begin playing about 3:50. I think they’re all terrific.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Adolph Herseth (former principal trumpet - Chicago Symphony Orchestra) playing the very opening of Mahler 5.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always liked the trumpets in this song:

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I always liked the trumpets in this song:

Yeah, me too, I like a lot of Latin fusion; however, I strongly suspect that maybe those 3 women weren’t the horn section on the recording Wink

Here ya go, my friend:

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Maynard Ferguson.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I like them in "Ring of Fire" Johnny Cash.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who can forget the trumpets in The Bands The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Always loved horns in a rock band!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Alright, here’s one from the same era as CTA, “Penny Lane”

The signature sound in this song is the piccolo trumpet. In my best Cliff Claven voice:
“You know Nahm, it’s a little known fact that the standard trumpet is tuned to Bb. The piccolo trumpet is also in Bb, an octave above the standard trumpet (there are, of course, other tunings).”

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Herb Alpert should be along soon...

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

I imagine, but then the trumpet becomes the feature instrument rather than something to enhance.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
One of my absolute favorite songs as a kid

A little bit of Pulp Fiction

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
like this?
Beatles, In too my life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tCX9I8fxU

or, not so much ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
I imagine, but then the trumpet becomes the feature instrument rather than something to enhance.
Ah got it - reread the OP.

Smile

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
like this?
Beatles, In too my life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tCX9I8fxU

or, not so much ?

For me, “not so much,” because the entire song features a full horn section. I like to be almost surprised when the sound of a trumpet comes into the song, but hey...

Oddball, I didn’t even know there was a 12 minute version of “Papa Was a Rolling Stone.”

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Bugler's Holiday by Leroy Anderson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHDd0jQxrI0

Concerto for 2 Trumpets by Antonio Vivaldi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l237WKb6FoA

Trumpet Concerto in Ab Major by Antonio Vivaldi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYgtsSWVYb8

Trumpet Concerto by Franz Joseph Haydn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5MSJcBb9o

That should be enough for a while.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Smooth would be different without the horns

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post