SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Favourite... was not my favorite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Favourite... was not my favorite Login/Join 
posted
Wife and I saw The Favourite last night.

We both hated it. I'm sure lots of artsy folk loved it but I thought it was awful.

Anybody else see it?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it and looked up the trailer.
What is it anyway > a limey, lesbo period piece?
Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Blech.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Never heard of it and looked up the trailer.
What is it anyway > a limey, lesbo period piece?
Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Blech.

Pretty much, wife wanted to see it. She hated it as well, not sure how it got such great reviews.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
We saw it this weekend and also hated it. Especially the ending. What a terrible movie!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I'll be the outlier lol. Most movie goers who ever see Yorgos Lanthimos' films come away negative. Dogtooth (2009) and Alps (2011) were both awesome. The Lobster (2015), his first with more known stars (Rachel Weisz, Colin Farrell) was not well received. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) (Nicole Kidman & Colin Farrell again)? Lackluster viewer response. As I was sitting through The Favourite I knew many would hate it. I happened to love all of his films and won't miss any at the theater. His take on reality is truly unique and indicative of other Greek films - such as Athina Rachel Tsangari's films (another director that I follow - who you might say Richard Linklater discovered while filming Slacker (1990) in Texas). Sacred Deer was my #7 for 2017, and The Favourite last year was #8. Saw 45 2018 films, and 51 2017. You can see a lot of movies when you don't watch t.v. lol.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
"The Crying Freeman" was so cool then but later on, it sucked. i saw the whole thing as a huge nonsense.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following comment contains spoilers.

Inside the text: The film is about a lesbian love triangle that threatens a government. You will appreciate it more when Kamala Harris becomes President.

Outside the text: The film deals with an era when Great Britain was still recovering from its ruinous civil war in the 17th Century and the Restoration of the Monarchy (ill-advised, if you ask me). Anne was the end of the Stuart line.

Look up the history of Queen Anne. She was perfectly awful, although her illnesses and quirks pushed Great Britain into more devolved authority, which was to the benefit of Americans a half century later.

I liked it. It has a lot going on in it with a narrative that is told sparsely because it points to bigger events than the jealousies and vanities seen in the film. Perpetual war and high taxes are still on everyone's mind today.

Yeah. It is art, or at least artfully done.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post