SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Silly Hollywood question: Falling with a body between you and the ground
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silly Hollywood question: Falling with a body between you and the ground Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
So a number of movies, Bourne Identity, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man, and others have had the protagonist fall with an evil minion under them that helps them from falls of 2-4 stories.

Excluding the ample difficulties of keeping the body aligned under oneself I don't really see how there would be enough cushioning/protection to make a difference.

A quick internet search didn't turn up anyone speculating on this silly question.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You still have to deal with the sudden stop and your brain slamming into your skull among other organs slamming around. Not to mention people are not soft with all our bones and stuff.

So between the G’s and lack of an object to slowly and softly decelerate you I have to imagine you are deader then hell.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
My thoughts as well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised “mythbusters” never tackled this one.

Posts: 467 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You forgot to ask if you could make a good A zone hit on the bad guy as you passed the first couple floors.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Have to imagine there would be compound fractures in the first body to hit just add to the fun.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I imagine it would be slightly softer than hitting the ground, but that's it. Not nearly enough.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked the Bourne Identity but that was a really stupid scene. So stupid that surely someone got drunk enough to try it. It's gotta be somewhere on YouTube.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from a bit over 10’ feet I was completely unscathed, she ended up with a very broken nose, and if she remembers the incident (she was highly intoxicated), likely will never attempt to kick the police again.
Once we hit the rail and it gave way I kind of knew there was no chance of going anywhere but down so just kind of went with it and let my body go limp as possible and kept my head from making any impact.

So I am guessing from double the height I would have still been alright but guessing she would have been in far worse shape.
But again drunks seem to turn to jello in car accidents and escape injury in some pretty wild crashes. So she may have been alright with the impact.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
The only way I can see any benefit is if the body underneath you is much larger than your own body... (like, say for instance, a much taller/larger/wider and heavier person than you so that you benefit from the "soft" parts of their body vs. their head/skull).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
It’s HOLLYWOOD. Laws of Physics don’t exist. NOTHING is real; it’s all FAKE!!!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
The only way I can see any benefit is if the body underneath you is much larger than your own body... (like, say for instance, a much taller/larger/wider and heavier person than you so that you benefit from the "soft" parts of their body vs. their head/skull).

Reminds me of...

"If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you?"

"Sure - I might land on a fat kid."

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
It’s HOLLYWOOD. Laws of Physics don’t exist. NOTHING is real; it’s all FAKE!!!

Wait a minute - you mean a blast from a 12ga. won't knock the bad guy off his feet and back 20 feet?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I would think having a really fat person (like 300-400 Lb) underneath you so that their belly and thighs are between you and the ground might work for shorter drops. Just have to avoid their skull or hip bones or similar so you're not landing on something just as hard as the ground.

Might be kindof nasty when the fart or other things come blasting out when they're caught between the ground and you...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I believe, and tell me if I'm off on this, but I believe that the key is to try to stand UP on the person AS YOU FALL, so as to also have the benefit of your legs to help cushion the fall AS the person under your feet hits the ground. That, and of course the Batman grappling hook gun to slow your descent. But that would be unrealistic, would it not?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post