SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Band, Cream, and their Impact on the Evolution of Rock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Band, Cream, and their Impact on the Evolution of Rock Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Those much younger than I cannot conceive the impact of this band at the time. The vocal is by bass player, Jack Bruce who also co-wrote the song along with lyricist, Pete Brown. The two of them wrote many (most?) of Cream’s singles. The band was among the first to be termed a “super group,” Clapton from The Yardbirds and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers; Jack Bruce from the Graham Bond Organisation (Brit spelling) and Manfred Mann; Ginger Baker also from Graham Bond Organisation (which I’ll have to do some further research on).

Oh, Clapton was one of the early adopters of the Wah pedal.

White Room

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Ginger Baker also from Graham Bond Organisation (which I’ll have to do some further research on).

Here's a good place to start Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed Beware of Mr. Barker when it came out several years back.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Those much younger than I cannot conceive the impact of this band at the time.

The Wheels of Fire album was my introduction. I listened to that album until it was worn out. I especially liked their cover of Robert Johnson's Crossroads and Clapton's solo work in that song. As many may (or may not) know, Crossroads was one of the earliest blues songs to come out of the Mississippi Delta in the 1930s.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Loved most all the albums suggested above and another early favorite was Disraeli Gears. Especially when they morphed into the classic Blind Faith works. That album had songs that will always spin in my mind.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Cream was some great stuff. Been listening to their music since 1966 on record album, 8 track, cassette, cd, and now the BD concert vids. EC knows how to play the guitar.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
...and there was also Alexis Korner and John Mayall back in the day who influenced a lot of greats early in their careers.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post