SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Great British Baking Show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great British Baking Show Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Anyone watch this? My wife and I are hooked on it!

It's so very fun and British and not cut-throat and nasty like American competition shows can be.

The winner receives an engraved cake stand and the accolades of being winner of the Great British Bake-Off (as it's called in the UK, stupid Pillsbury sued and won over the "bake-off" thing so they changed the name here) and that's it! Not a million pounds or some other monetary award, so it makes the show more fun to me as they aren't all trying to cut each other's throat for money.

I was worried the recent host and judge changes would mean the show would go downhill but it only seems to have gotten better to be honest.

It's really interesting to note the myriad of accents from the contestants; there are so many of them depending if you're from the north or the south or Wales or Ireland and sometimes we have to put on the subtitles in order to decipher something.

I did notice that EVERY season, they have some really hot girl on as well as a mix of younger and older people, this past season we just finished on Netflix was Kate who had one of the best quotes ever: My clanger was a bit stodgy! Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Love the show! I got hooked when my local PBS station ran it several years ago. Now Netflix has it.

Marry Berry was my favorite and I miss her. I don't really care for Prue Leith. I also miss Sue and Mel, but Noel Fielding is much better than I thought he would be.

Some of the location shots are beautiful.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I fel like it has been the go-to background show for our house for 6 months now. Wife is a baker and loves it, I don't mind it, and it's certainly appropriate for the kids. I'm mostly a big fan of Ruby.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
liked it until Mary left the show

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Wife and I enjoy watching it. It seems a good wholsome family show with, as already mentioned, no cut throat or devious players.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
liked it until Mary left the show

I like the new crew too, they are different but to me it's a good thing.

Mary was OK but she seemed a bit too senior stateswomanly to me, this new judge seems a little younger and more hip.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Very good sponge.

Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife watches it and sometimes I watch it with her. It's a very enjoyable show.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's pretty funny to hear how they critique the bakers "Oh, that doesn't have a nice brown bottom like should, oh dear!"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Wife and daughters love it, so I end up watching while messing with phone. There are (as mentioned above) usually one or two women worth looking at to ease my pain AND I sometimes get the results of my women's attempts in the kitchen to replicate something or other that they saw on the show....

I've never been one to turn down a dessert.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Very good sponge.

Smile

Big Grin

wife and I are almost thru the last season on netflix,, and I made her a Gluten Free raspberry lemon cake last week,

her first comment after yum was 'very good sponge'

Kate is hawt,

as is Ruby,

and yes,

one hotness, couple older folks, asian or indian, and at least one gay,

seems they have the same demographic on each show, but it seems to work, esp the last few seasons,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good show , we like it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Love the show.

Makes me wish Netflix had a delivery option or, at a minimum, Smell-O-Vision.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We love it, and it handled the changes in cast very well.

It is always fun. Ruby was super hot, but there is at least one cutie every season.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch off and on, mainly when my wife has her nights taking care of her Mom. I mostly watch the bread and biscuit baking episodes, as bread baking is my main baking interest(cake wise I am a one trick pony-the family legacy pound cake recipe).....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For awhile I couldn't believe that Paul Hollywood's real name was Hollywood, well, no shit, it is. The girls like him and he's quite a gear/petrol head as he races quite a bit in the UK. He's got a car series on Netflix: Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zapfire:
So many cooking show, why is this one special.

the English humor (which seemed to get better with the new production company for the last 2 seasons)
the judges get along,
good cast,

you can tell from the first couple episodes who will make it and who will not, or at least get a good guess,

no drama like the US cooking competitions , or at least not the over the top trailer trash drama,

overall just a good show to watch

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post