SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shooter now on Netflix:

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Shooter now on Netflix: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Last thread on this show is locked. But if you haven't seen it on television, it's now available for streaming.

I originally disliked the idea of Ryan Phillippe as Bob Lee Swagger, but I saw the first episode for free back when the show originally debuted and it changed my mind.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 14653 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Just watched the first two episodes. Pretty good. I'll probably keep watching, but is the whole thing basically just a long, drawn out version of the movie?


------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.
 
Posts: 2861 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No. It's a long, drawn out version of the novel.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 14653 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Started watching this series and thought the first three episodes were interesting enough to keep going, but the fourth epsiode has a very Left-wing Hollywood anti-gun, anti-2nd Ammendment slant. At least to me it does.

Did the book have the "Tree of Liberty" characters and compound in it?

Also, for those that have already viewed the series - is there an anti-gun/anti-2nd Amm. bias to the show or am I letting my anti-Hollywood bias color my perception?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marksman41,




 
Posts: 3587 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Overall I'd say no. the 2nd season has been more interesting then the first and I've really enjoyed it.


!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
 
Posts: 5211 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
After finishing season 1, I have a question for people more knowledgeable about long-range shooting than I am -

Is it standard practice for long-range shooters to load one round at a time on bolt-action rifles when the rifle has a clip or magazine that holds 5-10 rounds? If so, why?




 
Posts: 3587 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
223 isn't powerful enough to take down anything bigger than a squirrel. Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 3942 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
After finishing season 1, I have a question for people more knowledgeable about long-range shooting than I am -

Is it standard practice for long-range shooters to load one round at a time on bolt-action rifles when the rifle has a clip or magazine that holds 5-10 rounds? If so, why?

I think it is pretty common to single feed. Long range shooters typically use long, heavy-for-caliber bullets for their higher BC. They may not fit in a mag well and if they do, they may get beat up in the mag well.



"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."
 
Posts: 7946 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
223 isn't powerful enough to take down anything bigger than a squirrel. Roll Eyes


To be fair, .338Lapua and .50 Barrett figure prominently in the series. Very little sniping type work done with .223.




 
Posts: 3587 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks YJ, I didn't figure on that difference. Makes sense now why single loading with a magazine.




 
Posts: 3587 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Started watching this series and thought the first three episodes were interesting enough to keep going, but the fourth epsiode has a very Left-wing Hollywood anti-gun, anti-2nd Ammendment slant. At least to me it does.

Did the book have the "Tree of Liberty" characters and compound in it?

Also, for those that have already viewed the series - is there an anti-gun/anti-2nd Amm. bias to the show or am I letting my anti-Hollywood bias color my perception?

I didn't come away thinking it had a that sort of bias. It was basically the same story as the movie but with a lot more detail and twists & turns, and they tweaked a couple of things in the (season) ending. I was disappointed to find that Netflix doesn't have the 2nd season - Amazon does, but it's PPV.

I never read the book, so I don't know about the militia group question.
 
Posts: 4937 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bendable
posted Hide Post
so what did I just watch with Mark Wahlburger?





Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.



Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
 
Posts: 44622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
so what did I just watch with Mark Wahlburger?

The movie version.

And now there's also a TV series with Ryan P.
 
Posts: 20955 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 2nd season is better than the first, IMHO.




...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
 
Posts: 2227 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Junior Member
posted Hide Post
I'm four or five episodes into the first season on Netflix. Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee stories outclass this stuff by a bunch, and the changes to make this story current hurt my head. It's been a while since I watched the Walberg movie, but I remember thinking it was sorta faithful to the book.
 
Posts: 4 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
223 isn't powerful enough to take down anything bigger than a squirrel. Roll Eyes


To be fair, .338Lapua and .50 Barrett figure prominently in the series. Very little sniping type work done with .223.


Yeah but that line wasn't about sniping it was from the 1st episode season one when he was talking to hunters.
 
Posts: 3942 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The Son has watched much of the series. I kinda got turned off with how they portrayed the 'hunters' & trapped wolf in the opening part of the 1st episode. Yeah, I realize standard fare in urbanized America, just saying.

Of course he get's no consequences for roughing up the hunters, can't see it working that way. O.K., it's a movie.
 
Posts: 2956 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
223 isn't powerful enough to take down anything bigger than a squirrel. Roll Eyes


To be fair, .338Lapua and .50 Barrett figure prominently in the series. Very little sniping type work done with .223.


Yeah but that line wasn't about sniping it was from the 1st episode season one when he was talking to hunters.


Right, I forgot about that. One of more than a few gun handling/gun statements in the series that made me shake my head at their inaccuracy or ridiculousness.




 
Posts: 3587 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shooter now on Netflix:

© SIGforum 2017