SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    'The Lost Lincoln' on Discovery - Let's discuss (Spoilers)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'The Lost Lincoln' on Discovery - Let's discuss (Spoilers) Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
Greetings,

Caught this tonight...while obviously 'made for TV,' quite interesting IMHO.

https://www.discovery.com/shows/the-lost-lincoln

The high speed photography of the derringer into ballistic gel (as well as a few other calibers for comparison) is worth it. I think there may be interesting 'outtake/blooper' footage on the .460 testing.

I won't spoil it...you'll have to wait until about the last 90 seconds of the show of course for 'the reveal.'

But if you're a history/Lincoln buff, worth a watch.

Cheers,
Boss

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Boss1,

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I really liked it and overall felt the science was well established and defined. A bit of a difference between what the velocity of the "ball" was from the Derringer, and to the wound being "survivable", I think the doctor was thinking more in terms of today's level of trauma treatment vs then.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
I won't spoil it...you'll have to wait until about the last 90 seconds of the show of course for 'the reveal.'
I'll see when it next airs, but the existence of such a photo is highly improbable. Why do I get the impression from that clip that all throughout the show, they're going to be doing the cliffhanger bullshit reality shows do when going into commercial, then they come back from commercial, and the "big moment" turns out to be nothing?

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'll see when it next airs, but the existence of such a photo is highly improbable. Why do I get the impression from that clip that all throughout the show, they're going to be doing the cliffhanger bullshit reality shows do when going into commercial, then they come back from commercial, and the "big moment" turns out to be nothing?

There is some of that of course (it is a show with commercials after all), but their argument does at least make you go 'Hmmm, that is kinda interesting...'

They at least did a better job than Geraldo opening Capone's vault.

Maybe after a few more folks have seen it, there can be deeper discussions on the validity of the claims and the science behind them...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet.

I do recall an old show stating that he could have survived the shot, but the techniques at the time such as probing for bullets didn't help the situation.

The is another show on speculating that John Wilkes Booth faked his own death in the barn and escaped.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet.

I do recall an old show stating that he could have survived the shot, but the techniques at the time such as probing for bullets didn't help the situation.

Not to spoil it, but you'll find the show interesting... a couple doctors are interviewed.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:

Not to mention the concept of sterilization and germs were not really known at the time. Remember, if you got shot in the arm or leg badly enough on the battlefield in that era, their solution was to cut that off with a meat saw.

They were only 50-60 years or so past the era of bleeding people for "bad humours"! Eek

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
https://www.thedailybeast.com/...ncoln-deathbed-photo

So they dont even show the actual photo in the program. Maybe the photo is a clue to where the treasure of Oak Island is or something. Roll Eyes

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/...ncoln-deathbed-photo

So they dont even show the actual photo in the program. Maybe the photo is a clue to where the treasure of Oak Island is or something. Roll Eyes

Did you even watch the show?

If you had, you would know there's reason(s) for this that also factor in the investigator's determination(s) (provenance).

Give this through the weekend...then we can probably open it up to spoilers discussion for those inclined.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have it set to record for tomorrow. Ill watch it, and when I come back to this thread dont be suprised when I report its just as shitty as that review suggests. Im sure there is interesting stuff in it, but Discovery cant make a decent show anymore. Its 90% reality show type bullshit and 10% legitimate information.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Sooooo...has anyone else had a chance to watch this yet?

Might be worth opening it up to 'spoilers' discussion.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Spoilers ahead...

So, right off the bat, I'll say I think there's a decent chance the photo may well be legit.

I think the fact that the Ulke photographers lived in the Peterson house above the room where Lincoln died + the window of opportunity for the hour following his passing makes it plausible.

That the Ulkes' two known photos of the death bed (after Lincoln had been removed) weren't discovered for decades (like about 100 years) suggests that these photos weren't something that were being openly shared or published. So another being in existence wouldn't be impossible.

The copy of image of Lincoln himself, as the medical people had discussed, with his health over all plus some of the 'medicine' he was taking would probably have lead to his more emaciated appearance. The other items like the mole and scar...those were very specific/unique. The only real 'inconsistent' component was his nose, which could have been attributed to the lighting, etc. The swelling of the eye and his clenched/crossed arms were also consistent with the headwound. The facial recognition program provided some support (tho not as high as they would have liked)

The provenance is also plausible.

With the original photo currently in the court system, it may be some time until people are able to give it full close scrutiny.

As side note, the performance, or lack thereof of the derringer ball on the ballistic gel...about maybe 4-5 inches of penetration...that was quite interesting compared to the modern day rounds. It was really interesting to watch in slo-mo... between the hammer falling, ignition, and the ball actually leaving the barrel was VERY slow.

But all in all, a good show.

Thoughts??

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.