SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    39 steps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

39 steps Login/Join 
posted
Wonderful Hitchcock film with some very good laughs and an intriguing story. I remember the film being mentioned in a film class I took in college, but never saw the film. Did not watch carefully enough to see the Hitchcock cameo. Saw it on TCM.

A question for those who have seen the film. Why did Memory not answer the question that was asked repeatedly, "What causes the pip in poultry?" He knew all the other answers.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Hitch fan and this one is a favorite.

The cameo is hard to catch. He's throwing away some trash at ~7min, as everyone leaves the music hall.

Here's the entire film with commentary by Marian Keane, a Hitchcock expert. It's from The Criterion Collection and is very well done.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/tC8VeVzWzJk

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I caught the cameo of Hitchcock. I also listened to the commentary. Thank you for that as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming y'all are discussing the 2nd version.

Didn't he make this film twice?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Didn't he make this film twice?
He made The Man Who Knew Too Much twice, 1934 (Peter Lorre, Leslie Banks) & 1956 (Jimmy Stewart, Doris Day).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, The 39 Steps was not remade by Hitch. It has been remade by others, but not very successfully. North by Northwest is kinda similar.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post