SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    way back machine ... Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

way back machine ... Zero Dark Thirty (2012) Login/Join 
posted
...finally ... got around to watching this.

I was entertained. Enjoyed it.

total accuracy aside -- I liked how they showed what a long and laborious process - years - it took to piece it all together.

The raid team was portrayed as methodical and resilient. Cool to see them incorporate the 'prototype' stealth Blackhawks one of which crashed.

Of course the main character is a 'composite' for many real life analysts.. I accept that.

if you haven't seen it -- it was 'free with ads' on IMDB TV.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I liked it a lot. I know some complained about the feminism of Chastain's character against the CIA male dominated system. I didn't really get a lot of that.

The raid was word for word from Owen's book No Easy Day. I had read that before and it was really cool to watch because it looked so much like what it looked like in my head while I was reading.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I thought it was outstanding and Chastain got robbed for the Oscar. It was the best actor portrayal by a female lead that I had seen in many years.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I thought it was outstanding and Chastain got robbed for the Oscar. It was the best actor portrayal by a female lead that I had seen in many years.

I'd watch her in just about anything but she is fantastic in Molly's Game, too.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I like it. Have watched it maybe 4 times, and it's not diminished in my eyes with the repeated viewings.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to watching recently as well and thought it was excellent.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Seymour Hersch wrote The Killing of Osama BinLaden. He states Pakistani intelligence took the reward the US offered for his whereabouts. Not saying he is right and the movie is wrong, just another version of events.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I liked it a lot. I know some complained about the feminism of Chastain's character against the CIA male dominated system. I didn't really get a lot of that.

I agree. It was more like someone working towards a goal vs. a gang of loafers and bureaucrats.

Great movie. The Oscar went to the wrong person.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I'd watch her in just about anything but she is fantastic in Molly's Game, too.

Agreed. I though Idris Elba was excellent as well in that.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Saw this for the first time over the weekend. Great movie, great performance. The DEVGRU raid on the compound was just as I pictured it in my mind.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Despite knowing how the raid worked out, it was still some very tense viewing. The whole film was really well done.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post