SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Worst famous actor of all time?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst famous actor of all time? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
double standards liam neeson

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Jane Fonda

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Dean. Never understood his star power, other than the fact that he died young.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
James Dean. Never understood his star power, other than the fact that he died young.

Gotta' disagree with you, Sir.

Find a 1955 copy of "East of Eden". IMO, Dean's best acting.

BTW, costar Raymond Massey would agree with you. He called Dean the "Little Bastard".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Jim Carrey. Always the same guy and I never liked any of them. When he tried to be in a serious role, it was just painful to watch. Made me feel like Malcom McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

Will Farrell is on that same mold.

Although not on the A List, we can't let William Shatner off the hook. As much as it breaks my Trekkie heart, he is more of a caricature actor than character.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Kristen Stewart. Painfully bad.

I hate to say that Keanu Reeves is bad because he seems like a great guy, but he's turned in a few cringe-worthy scenes over the yars. Love him as John Wick though, so he's all good in my book.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:

Gotta' disagree with you, Sir.

Find a 1955 copy of "East of Eden". IMO, Dean's best acting.

BTW, costar Raymond Massey would agree with you. He called Dean the "Little Bastard".

To each his own. I don't have anything against him, just didn't think he was all that special. I am at least 20 years older than I was the last time I tried to watch one of his movies, so maybe I'll give him another chance.

My screen idols were Wayne, Mitchum, and Heston, so I'm sure it could be argued that I am a questionable judge of acting talent Big Grin

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have to add Stephan Seagal

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about Ben Affleck--I'd agree terrible actor.
But his much-less-well known brother Casey put in one of the best acting performances of all time (per Nolte at Breitbart, for example) in "The Assassination of Jesse James...".

Cage is awful, but I would watch National Treasure again to see Diane Kruger.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Laura Dern and Stallone.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
John Wayne.

Come on - his career lasted decades and he was crazy popular that whole time. He virtually always played the same character, and did it fairly woodenly, at that.

People have named a lot of mediocre actors in this thread, but none of them had the lasting popularity and reputation of Wayne while being so persistently middle-of-the-road.

DeNiro has lasted that long, and he has been something of a one (or two)-trick pony for the last ten or fifteen years, but he was something else in his younger days. (And some may be listing him here because he has made himself a real pain in the ass lately.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Funny thing about Ben Affleck--I'd agree terrible actor.
But his much-less-well known brother Casey put in one of the best acting performances of all time (per Nolte at Breitbart, for example) in "The Assassination of Jesse James..."

That film, and moreso that character and performance were some of the most underrated in all of Western film history. I think the bleak, brooding feel of it puts a lot of people off, but for my money, it’s much better than Tombstone in every way, which is tantamount to heresy amongst some who seem to consider it the gold standard for a modern western.

Ben Affleck can’t act worth a damn, and deserves a spot on this list for sure. His younger brother Casey got all the acting chops in that family. He’s even great in Good Will Hunting.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Jim Carrey...just terrible.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hands down Jennifer Jason Leigh. Only two movies I've seen her in are "Fast Times..." and "Backdraft". Performance in Backdraft was painful to watch. Got tired of her monotone delivery REAL quick...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
Kristen Stewart. Painfully bad.

In every film of hers I've seen (which is not many, to be honest), she always looks like she's constipated. Perhaps a laxative and a good crap would help.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
John Wayne.

Come on - his career lasted decades and he was crazy popular that whole time. He virtually always played the same character, and did it fairly woodenly, at that.

Sure, John Wayne pretty much played himself, but he did it very well, I don't call it bad acting. Lawrence Olivier could play a lot of different characters, but could never do what John Wayne did. The guy worked in over 100 films, and sure he had his share of stinkers, but nobody can say The Searchers, Red River, Stagecoach, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, nobody can say that these films sucked, and the reason the films were great was because of John Wayne. As far as other actors who "play themselves", Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Al Pacino, Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, Harrison Ford, etc. pretty much fall into this paradigm. IMO, there are very few well known actors that can completely "disappear" into a part.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Add Dean Martin to Oddball’s list of examples. Or Jack Palance.

There’s character actors who play themselves because they fit well into certain roles (and occasionally get shoe-horned into roles they shouldn’t play), and then there’s bad famous actors. It’s not a distinction without a difference.

Everything Jhe contends about John Wayne easily applies to Samuel Jackson, perhaps even more so. It doesn’t make him a bad actor, it makes him a typecast character actor. Nobody drops an angry black man “motherfucker” the way he does, so when you want and need that in a film, you get Sam Jackson. Who will take that mantle when he passes? Who has filled John Wayne’s boots since he passed?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Jerry Seinfeld...the soup nazi was a better actor Cool

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Vince Vaughn. He is at the very top of my worst actors list.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Kevin Costner

+1 - he's really good at playing Kevin Costner though...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post