SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Article about the Convair B-58 Hustler
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article about the Convair B-58 Hustler Login/Join 
posted
http://nationalinterest.org/bl...bomber-blunder-25723

I went to an open house at Griffiss AFB when I was in high school (graduated in 1968), but I do not recall seeing a B-58 on display. However, the Davis-Monthan AFB Boneyard had all of them (well, those that didn't crash...) in late 1975 when I got my first tour.

The one nearest one to me is Greased Lightning at the SAC Museum west of Omaha:

https://sacmuseum.org/what-to-...craft/b-58a-hustler/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
There was a radar practice bombing site in my home town in Mississippi during the '60's. I saw all the bombers flying over the radar site on simulated bomb runs; sometimes high, sometimes low enough to tell what model it was. Mostly B-47's and 52's. Saw only one B-58 on a low flight. What a gorgeous airplane!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Thee was one on display at Chanute back in the early 70's. I believe it had set some coast to coast speed records.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Thee was one on display at Chanute back in the early 70's. I believe it had set some coast to coast speed records.

The base has been closed for 20+ years, the museum closed two or three years ago. I'm guessing the "rare" planes (like the B-58) went elsewhere, but I don't know. Here's are some older photos from Chanute:

http://www.b-58hustler.com/666.html

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

The base has been closed for 20+ years, the museum closed two or three years ago. I'm guessing the "rare" planes (like the B-58) went elsewhere, but I don't know. Here's are some older photos from Chanute:

I believe the B-58 that was at Chanute is now at the museum at Castle AFB being prepared for display.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

I believe the B-58 that was at Chanute is now at the museum at Castle AFB being prepared for display.

Right you are, Mr Kotter:

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/n...rticle166937387.html

I visited the Castle Museum three or four years ago but would have to check my photos to see what was there. B-47s and B-52s are common, not so the B-58.

This site says only eight remain, but it has not been updated as it still shows 55-666 at Chanute. Click on B-58 inventory:

http://www.b-58.com/

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
There was a radar practice bombing site in my home town in Mississippi during the '60's. I saw all the bombers flying over the radar site on simulated bomb runs; sometimes high, sometimes low enough to tell what model it was. Mostly B-47's and 52's. Saw only one B-58 on a low flight. What a gorgeous airplane!

Mine as well. It was great seeing the B-52's up close. We're you near Ellisvile?

The SAC Museum is a great place to visit. Before they moved off Ofutt AFB they used to have "crawl through" Saturday's and let people in certain aircraft including the B-36!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was still there in 1980, when I was there.

IIRC, we had our class photo taken in front of it.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was at The Boneyard last Thursday and it was still there - centerline tank and all

still an awesome looking aircraft

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
When I got out of the service in 71, I got a job as a veteran's counselor. One day a month I went to Chanute to brief airmen who were about to be discharged and answer any questions they had.

I was always so self conscious about not wearing a hat or saluting.

quote:
quote:

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
There was a radar practice bombing site in my home town in Mississippi during the '60's.

Mine as well. It was great seeing the B-52's up close. We're you near Ellisvile?

RMD

Yes. Ellisville is my hometown. Free State of Jones!!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a radar practice bombing site near my home town of Greenville, Mississippi in the early'60's. They flew out of Columbus, MS to San Antonio, TX. They flew super sonic and put out a notable sonic boom. You could set your watch by the time they passed over once a day. My 7th grade class room was in an old building with large wood framed windows. Sonic boom would really rattle those windows!

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I built a model of the B-58 when I was a kid. IIRC, the entire cockpit was capable of ejection for the crew of 3.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I built a model of the B-58 when I was a kid. IIRC, the entire cockpit was capable of ejection for the crew of 3.

Yeah, me too. I was a kid in the 60s and the B58 model was one of my favorites. I didn't have any car models like my brother, all of mine were tanks, warships, helicopters and military planes.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...the entire cockpit was capable of ejection for the crew of 3.

That was the F-111 (crew of 2). Each B-58 crew member had a separate escape capsule good at supersonic speeds.

http://ejectionsite.com/eb58caps.htm

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

...the entire cockpit was capable of ejection for the crew of 3.

That was the F-111 (crew of 2). Each B-58 crew member had a separate escape capsule good at supersonic speeds.

http://ejectionsite.com/eb58caps.htm

Thank you, I knew they could eject from the bomber, obviously, I didn’t know how. I recalled from building the model, that the entire top of the cockpit opened, but didn’t know about the 3 separate capsules.

I’ve got an old friend who was an EWO in a F-111 Raven; lost track of him.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Seem to recall this Mach 2+ bird having major fluid leaking issues and an atrocious safety record.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as I recall, they changed its mission but it wasn't very efficient at low altitudes trying to penetrate a defended airspace

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. Ellisville is my hometown. Free State of Jones!!

Me too! Small world.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post