SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What's the deal with DiNozzo's Sig?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the deal with DiNozzo's Sig? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Is this for blanks or is it a 22lr?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 just like that, but with a red cap at the muzzle. Smile Like an airsoft, but I forget the brand I have.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Most likely for blanks.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NY, NJ, MD & CA Compliant, only fires farts.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I know they often use constricted barrels for use with blanks. Allows enough pressure to build so the slide can cycle properly.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
that's what I'm thinking.. it's just funny when you catch these things on the screen.... in that scene DiNozzo was just pointing the gun at a bad guy's head... no shots fired... and for sure you would not want to be firing a blank off that close to someone...

I've always thought it would be a fun job to be the gun wrangle on a TV or Movie set... the person in charge of the guns and making sure everybody is safe.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's interesting to know (kkina's post). My thoughts were they modded an Airsoft SIG to use as a studio prop instead of springing for a non-firing training duplicate, painted black.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
that's what I'm thinking.. it's just funny when you catch these things on the screen.... in that scene DiNozzo was just pointing the gun at a bad guy's head... no shots fired... and for sure you would not want to be firing a blank off that close to someone...

I've always thought it would be a fun job to be the gun wrangle on a TV or Movie set... the person in charge of the guns and making sure everybody is safe.

Until you run across a thread like this - or an ENTIRE SITE like IMFDB - solely dedicated to immortalizing your mistakes for all eternity...

But yeah I would love to do that job.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brandon Lee was killed filming a scene that used a revolver. The gun wrangler, if there was one, fucked up big time.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:

Brandon Lee was killed filming a scene that used a revolver. The gun wrangler, if there was one, fucked up big time.

The armorer was let go as a cost saving measure. The prop guy was handeling the weapons and failed to clear the weapons after a scene. There was a slug lodged in the barrel of a Model 29 Smith and they use those supercharged blanks for the shot were he was at the conference table. The rest you know.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:

The armorer was let go as a cost saving measure. The prop guy was handeling the weapons and failed to clear the weapons after a scene. There was a slug lodged in the barrel of a Model 29 Smith and they use those supercharged blanks for the shot were he was at the conference table. The rest you know.

That was an incredibly tragic chain of events. Being a revolver, they showed it loaded or being loaded so they used cartridges that had the powder removed but inadvertently left the primer. At some point the primer was struck and sent the bullet just far enough ahead to be caught in the barrel.

Next a blank was used and the powder propelled the bullet down and out the barrel.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I watched the special features on the Taken dvd, back when that movie first came out. They talked about non-guns a bit, blank-firing guns, and then they talked about "flash paper" guns.
The blank-firing guns used in hollywood still work, but just fire blanks. (watch the Matrix, and you can often see the crimped cartridges of blanks being ejected out of the handguns). But blanks are still dangerous in close range, so they invented the "flash paper" guns, that give a similar muzzle flash to the blank-firing guns, but can be used in the closer-quarters combat scenes of Taken.

I wanted more info about it all, but at the time couldn't really find much more about it. there's a lot more about non-guns and flash paper guns being synonymous nowadays, and it looks like there's a ton more youtube videos and blog posts about prop guns now.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post