SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" (1970)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" (1970) Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
A little blast back to Detroit, 1970...

According to legend, George Clinton, under the influence of LSD, told Eddie Hazel to play the first half of the song like his mother had just died and to play the second half as if he had found out she was alive (other variants of the story suggest that he was simply told to play as if he had found his mother dead.) The result was the 10-minute guitar solo for which Hazel is most fondly remembered by many music critics and fans. Though several other musicians began the track playing, Clinton soon realized the power of Hazel's solo and faded them out so that the focus would be on Hazel's guitar (the band can only truly be heard during the end of the song, and even then, it is barely audible.) The entire track was recorded in one take. The solo is played in a pentatonic minor scale in the key of E over another guitar track of a simple arpeggio. Hazel's solo was played through a fuzzbox and a wah pedal; some sections of the song utilize a delay effect.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Nice call ! This is an amazing track. I played it for my daughter when she was 14, and she was blown away. I was so proud of her for being able to hear the genius here ! Most of her friends are stuck on pop music hell. And then we branched to Parliament, and then off to Pink Floyd !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y’all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the Universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
That record is a shredder. I have the original vinyl, and the sound quality is amazing. Eddie Hazel is unreal on the title track Maggot Brain (1971--3rd LP). I like Funkadelic's second LP even more (Free Your Mind, and Your Ass Will Follow 1970). Really crazy stuff. If you like this, check out Parliament's first record as well. (Osmium 1970). George Clinton was a crazy dude. He hired away two of the best side-men from the James Brown band, when JB shorted their paychecks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...?v=2-jbkAHjGe0[/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-jbkAHjGe0

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post