SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    suggestion for a new show to watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggestion for a new show to watch Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
As stated I need something new to watch.

I mostly watch sci-fi/fantasy type stuff.

Some examples of past shows that I've enjoyed:

all the marvel and DC shows (flash, agents of shield, etc...)
firefly
big bang theory
eureka
stargate (all)
BSG
game of thrones

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sci fi, but Longmire probably has some of the best dialog and acting i have seen in along time.

JUSTIFIED is a close second.
Endeavor is a good third.
Foyles war is a great series,
Wallander is execelent
Inspector Lewis

Breaking bad did not hold my interest. I always was hoping everyone woould die.

Same for the walking dead.

I need to find season 1 of the exspanse.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I tried longmire - watched maybe 2 seasons worth before I lost interest.
Never even heard of the rest of those...

Zero desire to see breaking bad - tried walking dead... hated it.
I tried the expanse too.. if memory serves I had a helluva hard time getting thru episode 1.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A mixture of crime/sci-fi/fantasy/western/procedural/etc:

Vikings
Dollhouse
Americans
Black Mirror
Sherlock
The Killing (US)
Hannibal
Stranger Things
True Detective (particularly season 1, season 2 doesn't suck but it's no season 1)
Westworld
The Wire
Deadwood
Justified
Fargo

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I tried longmire - watched maybe 2 seasons worth before I lost interest.
Never even heard of the rest of those...

Zero desire to see breaking bad - tried walking dead... hated it.
I tried the expanse too.. if memory serves I had a helluva hard time getting thru episode 1.

Justified is faster paced than longmire. I gre up in that area of montana wyoming, so it apeals to me.

Westworld is another great choice. Very much a sci fi with twists and turns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark Matter
Continuum
The 4400
All three have a lot of supporting actors from the Stargate shows.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Rome.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Dark Matter
Killjoys

Justified

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16191 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The Expanse
Warehouse 13
Farscape

The pilot for Oasis on Amazon looked good this year. Therefore I bet it won't be green lit, but we can hope.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Fringe

It's, well, different...

Sort of campy at times, in a Sully and Mulder meet Dr. Who meets and encounter The Invaders kind of thing, with lots of plot holes to chase white rabbits into.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^
Vikings & The Americans are both great

Outlander?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
X-Files.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
ended up starting "dark matter" last night.
watched 2 episodes... so far it doesn't suck.

posted Hide Post
quote:

You really needed to read the books to even follow the show IMO... Some people tried to watch it with me (I had just finished all the books by happy coincidence) and was really looking forward to the show. It's relatively true to the books and they do some cool things that really don't make sense without the explanation you get in the books. Add in the belter slang and it's really hard to follow. I spent most of each show explaining who this person was or why that was significant etc.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ended up starting "dark matter" last night.
watched 2 episodes... so far it doesn't suck.

Season 1 of Killjoys was much better than season 1 of Dark Matter. Season 2 of Dark Matter was much better than season 1. Killjoys is still pretty good, but the feel has changed with their big 'goal' now vs it almost being standalone, fun episodes.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortitude

Its a TV series available on Amazon Prime, cannot even remember how I came across it but the wife and I very much enjoyed both seasons

Fortitude

Has a great cast including Stanley Tucci, Michael Gambon and Richard Dormer who is Sheriff in Fortitude (also from Game of Thrones) and makes this show

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lillehammer

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Fringe, Continuum, Travelers, and Orphan Black are all on my list to check out, as is Longmire.

I just finished season 1 of Shooter. I'm waiting now for season 2 of that and the final season of Grimm to come off of pay-per-view.

I saw most of the first season of Dark Matter, but once the big initial mystery was solved it became basically just another collection of misfits trying to get by (ala Firefly).

Watched one or two episodes of The Expanse but couldn't get into it.

If you're a Halle Berry fan you might check out Extant.

Bosch is really good if you're into whodunnit detective stories with a twist or two.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
Rake. It's an Australian show. I believe it's on netflix.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The Killing (US)

I absolutely love the first three seasons of The Killing. Season 4 is a huge steaming pile of garbage.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post