SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Alright, then, how about this? 'Henry V'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alright, then, how about this? 'Henry V' Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Personally, I prefer the latter.

Question:
'Henry V' vs 'Henry V', Olivier's version or Brannagh's?

Choices:
Olivier
Brannagh
I'd rather watch something with Henry II

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Sorry, can't help. I've read Henry V, but have not seen an actual performance by either.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Brannagh's is outstanding - one of the best movies ever.

Haven't seen Olivier's though.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
There is also Tom Hiddleston's version from The Hollow Crown series that was shown on PBS' Great Performances.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
Brannagh and his all-RSC cast killed it! More impressive, he was still in his twenties when he made the film.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
There is also Tom Hiddleston's version from The Hollow Crown series that was shown on PBS' Great Performances.

I had never heard of this version, that is pretty impressive how Mr. Hiddleston did that scene in a very natural, almost conversational style, he makes it appear that he is coming up with what he is saying just before he speaks the lines. And the emotion that shows on his face as it occurs to him the weight of the moment and what is about to transpire.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Olivier's Henry V had the disadvantage of his version also being a patriotic propaganda film (1944). Branagh had freer reign to make the movie his way.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Brannagh...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/cRj01LShXN8

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NHAAH8PCnMo

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Billy Zane's version. Wink

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LtJL,

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

I have a niece who went nuts about the Branagh version. She still takes part in the Society for Creative Anachronism (re-enactment of medieval battles). October 25 is a big day for her.

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Paris balls, leave us not forget Brain Blessed as Exeter.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This thread is so full of win...Exeter had "balls" the size of bowling balls to enter into the enemy's throne room and deliver that response...this is in the top 20 of my favorite movies (but I love pretty much anything Shakespeare especially with Brannagh/Brian Blessed ie. Much Ado About Nothing)...what a cast and what an actor, I love his smile and pleasant demeanor under adverse situations Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I must add that Branagh's wife, Emma Thompson, made a delicious Prince Catherine; they were both very young then.

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting. I did an Inter-Library Loan request for both. Poll input to follow..

When I was a student at SUNYAB the professor Saul Elkin directed the Shakespear in the Park (SitP) program. That would be about 20 years ago. During the summer break SitP would put on a drama and a comedy. The comedies were enjoyable but the dramas were more interesting.

Cheese, cold cuts, bread, sweets, sunset, young ladies, and a bottle Reisling wine. Heaven on a hillside.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post