SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Country Music ain't Country No More
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country Music ain't Country No More Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Country Music, what I grew up on, Roy Clark, Alan Jackson, Willie and Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Loretta, Patsy, it was more than tailgates and dashboard tunes.

If you remember country as it was, post a video of an artist that exemplifies country as country is..

For starters, a little Patty Loveless...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q0huwBOXBk

edited to get the video to work imbedited Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I agree. Now it's just bland pop music being given to stage performers who simply look the part.
They are to country music what Taco Bell is to Spanish food.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I don't think Hank done it this way.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
To me country is Hank, Johnny, Willie and Waylon.

If you dig through all this crappy bullshit country that is pushed out now you'll find a few artists trying to keep the legacy alive. Guys like Cody Jinks, Chris Stapleton and Whitey Morgan

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3808 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Modern country is pop. It’s terrible. People from California and Australia faking southern accents.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not all new(er) country is garbage. Can't hardly get no more country than this Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^You do realize that song is 24 years old, right? “New”? Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This automatically popped-up right after Blue. Wow. Nearly brought tears to my eyes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^^You do realize that song is 24 years old, right? “New”? Smile

It's "new" compared to some of the earlier cites Smile

(Made slight edit to that post.)

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

And just to show it can be contemporary:

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
nashville/radio country is garbage. nashville has always been about making a buck. freddie fender, the bellamy brothers, and, though I love his music, glen campbell aren't exactly outlaws.

so while nashville sucks, there is tons of great country music being made right now. asI've posted dozens of times in similar threads to this: YOU WILL NOT FIND GREAT MUSIC ON THE RADIO. That's regardless of genre. Just like Hollywood doesn't have any original ideas anymore, popular music is following the formula to the bank.

If you want good country music, listen to Stapleton, Jason Isbell, Tyler Childers, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers, Midland, Sturgill Simpson, Brent Cobb, Lukas Nelson, Ruston Kelly, Robert Ellis, Mandolin Orange, Trampled by Turtles, Turnpike Troubadors, Cody Jinks, Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, Todd Snider, Nikki Lane, Joy Williams, Patti Griffin, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
This s Country:

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
YOU WILL NOT FIND GREAT MUSIC ON THE RADIO.

Depends where you live Wink

One of my favorite stations is KHYI 95.3 "The Range". Here is their mission statement.

quote:
KHYI is a beacon of hope in the murky ocean of cheesy, generic, pseudo, so-called “Country” music. One of the last remaining major-market “mom & pop” radio stations left in the country, no one from New York or L.A. (Or Atlanta, in the case of Cumulus) has the power to make us play Jason Aldean, or Kenny Chesney, or Rascal Flattulence. We’re mavericks…and we believe the world deserves to hear Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, the Turnpike Troubadours, and the Dirty River Boys. We also think its impossible to be a country radio station and not play Waylon and Willie, and Hank (Sr.), and J.R. Cash, and Merle, and the Possum…but we digress.
We love our listeners and we keep it real. We close the bars on Saturday nights, but never miss church on Sundays.
We’re happy you found us. Keep it here for a while.

http://khyi.com

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
YOU WILL NOT FIND GREAT MUSIC ON THE RADIO.

Depends where you live Wink

One of my favorite stations is KHYI 95.3 "The Range".

The Range throws in a lot of vintage country to their playlist.

My go-to station for literally every band that Yellow Jacket noted above is 95.9 The Ranch out of Fort Worth. Yellow Jacket, check them out on their app to stream the feed. I think you’ll be presently surprised. That’s not to say though that the format is overly popular or would work elsewhere. We have a very healthy music scene in Texas that eats up the sounds and bands you listed. Just won some tickets to see Jason Isbell on the station last week as a matter of fact.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Jason Isbell is a great songwriter, but a bit political for me.

https://www.savingcountrymusic...rvative-songwriters/

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Well, Wink ...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhEHB0a7Uyg

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I agree CM is different today, but damn there are some talented people croonin' around on our radio waves. My home town station was country all the time, our home stereo was just for Dad's favorites. Buck Owens, Charlie Pride, Lefty, Kitty, George Jones and all the oldies.

Today it's all about quality musicians and production, and the hook to bring us in. Sure, some crap, it's always been that way.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vxHjRqnY7zA" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Well I've been lucky enough to have seen Travis and George both and Merle and quite a few other REAL Country singers live. This crap now isn't Country

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post