SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I would have liked to have seen Montana!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I would have liked to have seen Montana! Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Acutually I think I’ll need two wives.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was working at a navy nuclear shipyard when the book launched. More than a few eyebrows were raised with questions about possible disclosure of classified information.

That said I loved the book and movie.

My Morse is so rusty I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Acutually I think I’ll need two wives.

Oh at least.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Is this the movie where James Bond steals a Russian submarine and torpedoes Alec Baldwin?

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it. Very well done!

'I'm not worried about our Navy. I know their tactics. It's the American I worry about.'

Yes, Halsey acted foolishly. Thanks to Taffy-3, the landing force was saved from destruction. One of the true epics in the history of Naval actions.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I've read this book. Your conclusions were all wrong, Ryan. Halsey acted foolishly.

. .

I haven't really thought about this before, but in this scene, are we supposed to be imagining Ryan and Ramius speaking Russian to each other?

Ramius spoke fluent English. I always assumed the conversation was in English. Otherwise, they would have used subtitles like they did when Ryan and Ramius first met. . .

Ramius speaks initially in English, Jack responds in Russian making a comment about 'knowing your adversary' IIRC. Then he states he met him before at a conference. Thats when Ramius (in English) states he remembered seeing him and had read his book. then he makes the comment about his conclusions on Halsey.

FWiW, I did a paper grad school on Halseys decision to sail North "with three groups" during Leyte Gulf. This is now naval lore and hotly debated. Thus Ramius statement that "Halsey acted foolishly" ( a very strong opinion) is ripe with historical irony and is one of the reasons I fell in love with Tom Clancy and his works in the first place.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
"The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch..."

Unfortunately Richard Jordan passed away YEARS before his time. Liked him in a lot of movies he did.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
You see Jack I'm a politician which makes me a liar and a cheat. When I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lolly pops.

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Is this the movie where James Bond steals a Russian submarine and torpedoes Alec Baldwin?
I would love to see the video of that.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post