SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For Those Interested...another new season of Curse of Oak Island on History Ch Kicks Off Tonight
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Those Interested...another new season of Curse of Oak Island on History Ch Kicks Off Tonight Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Lesseee...

High probability they've located another shaft, No. 2, which is known to have been dug exactly 14' from the original Money Pit. Together with Shaft 9, a known 100' away, it would be easy to triangulate to the exact location. X marks the spot.

Another wood structure found in the extended bumpout section at Smith's Cove. An underwater structure. Next week's previews hint at this being an opening to one of the box-drains feeding the underground flooding booby-traps.

Maybe they're close to finding the 90 foot stone in a museum backyard. The inscription may explain how to deactivate the boobytrap system.

They're closing in from all angles. Getting close. Really.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
So, who's paying for all this? I'm sure there's a tax credit somewhere in the financials.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
So, who's paying for all this? I'm sure there's a tax credit somewhere in the financials.

Methinks you may have jib-jabbed yourself...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Looks like they discovered Shaft 9. Pinpointing the original Money Pit may be as simple as consulting some old maps.

On Oak Island I can't imagine anything being simple Wink

What I am a bit curious about as each discovery of different countries artifacts are found among the depositors . I wonder if at some point any of these groups collaborated or ran into each other while on the island? Or even knew of the others existence?

I wonder if the artifacts from different cultures are indicative of Pirates? Weren't Pirate crew's open to any nationality?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
What I am a bit curious about as each discovery of different countries artifacts are found among the depositors . I wonder if at some point any of these groups collaborated or ran into each other while on the island? Or even knew of the others existence?

I wonder if the artifacts from different cultures are indicative of Pirates? Weren't Pirate crew's open to any nationality?[/QUOTE]

I found this article as I remembered an episode from the past about the possibility of Capt Kidd landing on the island at one point..

"However, the candidate of choice by many pirate theorists is the famous Captain William Kidd. Before Kidd's arrest in Boston in 1699, he spent several years pirating the East Indies, and the Indian and China seas. Heading back to the West Indies laden with treasure, he supposedly steered his ship north before returning to port in Boston, which would ultimately lead to his conviction and death in 1701. Kidd's time spent in the north prior to his arrest in Boston left him ample time to conceal his treasure in the Money pit.

There is also the idea that more than one group of pirates used Oak Island as a communal pirate bank. Beginning in about 1625, and spanning into the 1700s, many buccaneers who were headquartered in Port Royal, Jamaica, including Sir Henry Morgan, Jean Levasseur, Bartholomew Sharp and others may have used the sheltered Oak Island as a collective treasure stash.

Of course, the problem with pirates is that they weren't known as the saving type... more so as spenders. Oak Island has always had a hint of military precision to it or at the very least, presents as a highly organized and disciplined undertaking. Pirates... you can't rule them out, but one might say it doesn't quite fit their profile."

I can only envision a small bit of humor at the suggestion of a "Communal Pirate Bank!" Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Oh yea...What about those 18,000 charges for seismic testing Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m just waiting for another “Top Pocket Find” from Gary!!!

OOOHHHWWEEEEE!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting until they actually find it.

I'm doing the same on finding NAZI gold.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:

Methinks you may have jib-jabbed yourself...

Nah, that's just another mystery of Oak Island that can't be explained.

I've always enjoyed watching the show and I keep watching even though they haven't found the real treasure yet. I know it is all for TV but it just seems when they are out metal detecting they are just randomly checking spots and they find 1 thing and they are gone. It also aways seems to be at the end of the day for some reason.

You would think with something like this where they are trying to find answers every piece of land they would have access to would be laid out in a grid pattern and detected and when things are found cataloged. The way the show is filmed and presented it just seems like they stumble into things randomly.

My biggest irritant with the show is the narration. Every comment is narrated with an upward reflection at the end like it is a 16 year old girl talking about the island.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
My biggest irritant with the show is the narration. Every comment is narrated with an upward reflection at the end like it is a 16 year old girl talking about the island.

Are you talking about the narrator Robert Clotworthy? He's the same narrator from the Ancient Aliens series. If so, he does the same style of repetition on Ancient Aliens. It's got more humorous than anything at this point. You can almost picture an exclamation point on his repetition of the previous statement, like when I used to say to my dogs.."Bones??!!"the looks and expressions on their faces was priceless.

I'll bet he makes a pretty fair wage doing it as well as popularity of his voice.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Are you talking about the narrator Robert Clotworthy?

Yup, that's the guy I'm talking about. I can usually tune it out but sometimes it gets on my nerves. I just want to see more cool stuff.

For some reason when this season started and they were showing teasers from upcoming episodes I could have sworn I saw one where they were watching footage from a camera going through a horizontal tunnel coming up on a vertical shaft.

Did I actually see it or is that just another mystery of Oak Island???!!!

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason when this season started and they were showing teasers from upcoming episodes I could have sworn I saw one where they were watching footage from a camera going through a horizontal tunnel coming up on a vertical shaft.

WildSig, I'm not sure if I saw that particular footage. I have Direct TV and on Tuesdays when they typically broadcast the new episodes, it seems that if you watch it early in the evening starting with the previous episodes leading up to the newest show, the order is often confusing as is it's broadcast time. They were advertising the newer episode starting at 9pm but it actually was edited into a 2 hr broadcast starting at 8pm and going until 10pm??

So yea, there is a whole lot of mystery going on all over Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m mostly interested in knowing why something like this lists a Director and Writers if it’s on the up & up? Smile

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like you're talking about Borehole 10X, the mysterious (what on OI isn't?) shaft that was located with dowsing by Dan Blankenship. Various chambers were discovered, nothing of great significance. What looked like a horizontal tunnel in the original video turned out to be just the camera pointing straight down into the original smaller shaft. No tunnel has been found connecting directly to the Money Pit 180 feet away.

There was a segment (No.4) in the pre-season episode Top 25 Moments that showed the original video.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
I’m mostly interested in knowing why something like this lists a Director and Writers if it’s on the up & up? Smile

Yea, no doubt it's scripted and edited for TV. Rick, Craig and his team are very educated and I don't think that they'd be going all out if it left their pockets dry. I'm sure there's a lot going on that we as the viewer are not privy to, especially the entertainment side of the History channels shows.

My interested has shifted a bit that now it's more of an amusement as to just how far they'll go digging up and excavating that whole island...with environmental permits and gov't approval of course Wink

Regards, Will G.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I continue to watch it as I grew up in that part of the world. I went to school with Charles Barkhouse and although I haven’t seen him since 1976 there is enough to make me think I it’s him - although Barkhouse is a common name.

In any event it’s a fun show. Do I think there was a treasure on Oak Island? Yes. Do I think it’s still there? No.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Lesseee...

High probability they've located another shaft, No. 2, which is known to have been dug exactly 14' from the original Money Pit. Together with Shaft 9, a known 100' away, it would be easy to triangulate to the exact location. X marks the spot.

Another wood structure found in the extended bumpout section at Smith's Cove. An underwater structure. Next week's previews hint at this being an opening to one of the box-drains feeding the underground flooding booby-traps.

Maybe they're close to finding the 90 foot stone in a museum backyard. The inscription may explain how to deactivate the boobytrap system.

They're closing in from all angles. Getting close. Really.

Personally, if I were the original ones doing the digging down and I came to that stone which translated as "Forty Feet Below Two Million Pounds Are Buried" naturally I'd do exactly as they did, definitely dig further! And thats probably exactly what the depositors wanted you to do. I think that it was a setup from the beginning to trap somebody way down at 90'.

Like nhtagmember mentions, it's a fun show. And regardless of the outcome, you really have to marvel at the ingenuity of the original depositors. They definitely had skills Smile

Regards, Will G.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
“If” they ever do find anything of value that is continually alluded to on this show, it won’t be on this show where it is first made public. By the time that episode would be aired, it will be “old news” after having been splayed all over news media and tabloids for 3+ weeks.

Take it for what this show is all about—ENTERTAINMENT, nothing more.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
“If” they ever do find anything of value that is continually alluded to on this show, it won’t be on this show where it is first made public. By the time that episode would be aired, it will be “old news” after having been splayed all over news media and tabloids for 3+ weeks.

Take it for what this show is all about—ENTERTAINMENT, nothing more[QUOTE]

Considering the History channel is owned by A&E (Arts and Entertainment) Networks and the Disney-ABC Television Group division of the Walt Disney Company, I'd say that statement is right on the money Smile

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
After doing some additional research, I gave up on the show.

The island sits on limestone which is known for being pourus and creating natural voids and cavities.

All the the 'major' proof that something is buried there (90ft stone, gold chain etc) all happened to be found when previous expeditions were just about to run out of funding...what a coincidence...

The box drains and most of the odd stuff they find at the cove is from an old salt works.

Most of the 'artifacts' they find are left over from prior expeditions.

I would have enjoyed the show more of it was just about 'the brotherhood of the dig'. Just a group of guys indulging in childhood fantasy and having fun. But the ancient aliens aspects of it (the narrator, outlandish theories, manufactured drama etc) just kills it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post