New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daytona 500 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I haven’t followed NASCAR for quite a few years—especially as a result of the debacle requiring all cars to use the same chassis and body panels, then adding decals and paint to make it look like a Ford or Chevy. I hated that.

A few years ago, they went away from that (although I believe a common chassis is still used) and the car bodies, once again, are unique to each manufacturer.

If I watch any race, I try to watch Daytona. I always found it a bit odd that NASCAR’s biggest race of the year is the first race of the year. I don’t like the fact that it’s a restrictor plate race. Daytona is probably the fastest track in the series, and the cars seemed to top out at 200 mph. Yeah, it makes for close competition and lots of wheel rubbing, but it also makes for 13 car pileups.

Last year Chevrolet began campaigning a Camaro-bodied stock car. This year Ford is running a Mustang-bodied car. They’re pretty cool. Toyota was running a Camry-bodied car, but beginning next week, will race a car with the Supra body. Should be fun.

Quite a few new drivers, and they’ve got good equipment and are running up at the front; thinking particularly of the Hendrick team. Fun, for me, to see the 24 car at, or near, the front again.

Probably won’t watch an entire race again this season, but I was entertained yesterday. Surely others in the Forum watched as well

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I usually watch it because there hasn't been any other racing all winter and it's a big event.
They certainly had some action in this one. Lots of patched up cars and staying out there got some more than tail end points this time.
This year they did have some genuine passing.
Seemed to be a lot of newer guys this year.
I'm not a big fan of the stage parts.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I set up the DVR to record the race with an hour tacked on because NASCAR.

The recording ran out with the remaining cars behind the pace car in "overtime". Turns out Denny Hamlin won so I don't feel cheated.

Looked to be a sell out which you'd hope for the series' biggest race so there's that.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I set up the DVR to record the race with an hour tacked on because NASCAR.

The recording ran out with the remaining cars behind the pace car in "overtime". Turns out Denny Hamlin won so I don't feel cheated.

Looked to be a sell out which you'd hope for the series' biggest race so there's that.

Same thing happened to me, right down to the hour added to recording time.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
18 years ago today was the beginning of the end of NASCAR for me

When Earnhardt died, I don’t think the sport ever recovered

The chase, the stages, the car changes...all that crap is not the nascar I grew up watching

I had season tickets to Richmond, Martinsville and Bristol at one point...and I’ve been to...half a dozen? Other trAcks..

I watched for Junior for a long time, but now he is gone too

Regret never making it to Daytona...but over the last 6-8 years I went from going to 6-8 races a year to not watching a second of it....didn’t watch yesterday...I miss it somewhat...rather I miss what it was

I’m glad people still watch and enjoy though

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
"racing"

Roll Eyes

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Was really into it back in the day when Harry Gant, Tim Richmond, Davey Allison, & Alan Kulwicki were going at it. A few years later they would just pick one driver and talk about them over and over and over and over and...

Didn't like how Gibbs screwed the 78 team out of existence. I did like that Matt DiBenedetto was able to get a car worth a damn this year.

Now if only we could get those Waltrips to shut up or at least stop repeating what anyone else just said. Perhaps he could just quote some 40+ year old song or talk about a catbird seat... Roll Eyes

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"NASCAR" is is synonymous with bumper cars. It is not about who is fastest at the big tracks as it is who is luckiest. When only 9 cars finish a race (that started with 43), the "sport" or even is screwed.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I usually watch it because there hasn't been any other racing all winter and it's a big event.

This is me - long time since last F1 race!

Will probably be the only NASCAR event I watch this year.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I have to say Darrel Waltrip was hilarious as this race struggled to finish. With each incident, he was more and more disgusted, shocked at the clumsiness of it all and apologizing to viewers for having no explanations for what we were seeing. Big Grin

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
They are promising now to listen to the fans. But the whole 'stages' concept is just an attempt to do two things. Keep them bunched up, and theoretically more competitive, making the racing more exciting.
Cause more wrecks. Thus making it more exciting.

Well it caused more wrecks. I hope they get good mileage out of that. It wasnt a race of skill but of who didnt get wrecked.

NASCAR, when 90% of your cars are broke dick 90% of your fans are now watching something else.

Let them race.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Is this "Stock Car" Racing or Demolition Derby?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well said, redstone.

I said something about “13 car pileups” in the OP, guess I forgot the last big one involved 21. Thank God for fuel cell technology.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Well said, redstone.

I said something about “13 car pileups” in the OP, guess I forgot the last big one involved 21. Thank God for fuel cell technology.

We have had a saying for decades, "cautions breed cautions" and NASCAR was like "hold my beer" and came up with and engineering solution to cause more wrecks.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
not a fan of 'stage-managed' racing, but I watched it

waiting for F1 to see the start and the last lap

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The sport never recovered after Earnhardt's death. They over reacted with all the rule changes which took place constantly for the next year or so. Became impossible to keep up with what was going on at what track. Then they played with the points system trying to get Jr. to win a championship which didn't work out. JR. just never was all that.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
18 years ago today was the beginning of the end of NASCAR for me

When Earnhardt died, I don’t think the sport ever recovered

The chase, the stages, the car changes...all that crap is not the nascar I grew up watching

When the NH track first got two races they would sell out and there was a waitlist for tickets. Then interest waned and it's down to one race a year now. You can walk up on race day and buy discounted tickets

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post