SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Metallica - Rolling Stones article
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metallica - Rolling Stones article Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Thought this was worth a read, I guess at this point they will keep going til they stop filling huge venues and the inflow of cash stops.

Amazing to me that a metal band from the 80's is still selling out full stadiums in hours, debuting albums at #1 on Billboard, and getting Platinum status.

http://www.rollingstone.com/mu...biggest-ever-w487805

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain there are many mainstream metal bands as big as Metallica, anyway. Seems like they're holding a monopoly on that genre, so it stands to reason that they'd still fill stadiums.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hard Rock and Metal has fractured into so many sub-genres nowadays that bands like Metallica don't have much competition, really, and they're good at that thing they do.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My moms aunts is related to James Hetfield by marriage so I've been very fortunate to see them a few times with backstage passes. They are still popular because they put on the best hard rock concert man has ever known.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just think how great they could be with a competent drummer.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hate lars. HATE him....but I also believe that Metallica would not still be together without him. That said...fuck Lars!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh, somebody out in Denver doesn't like Metallica's recent concert and was really disturbed by it.

Metallica Brought a Soundtrack for Totalitarian Violence to Denver. Now What?

quote:
In a stadium so vast, the whole thing felt like a rally concocted by Leni Riefenstahl in Triumph of the Will. Being there helped me imagine how thousands gathered after Hitler came to power, wowed by a daddy figure who offered up nothing but charisma, hate and brutality.

Look, it was just another stadium concert, right? That’s just how they work.

But Metallica is no Justin Bieber. The band’s vision of the world is introspective and couched in mass violence — the sort of horror perpetrated by big bombs, big armies and big nations. It’s the music of the trauma of war.

ROTFLMAO!!! The delusion is grand

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karen Carpenter could out drum him from the grave.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Lars is a wiener but good at his job. James is a tyrant of a band leader. Kirk does what he's told with no authority. And the bassist of the day post-Cliff is an over glorified hired hand.

But they do jam. Smile

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Snipped from the hater's description:
quote:

But Metallica is no Justin Bieber. The band’s vision of the world is introspective and couched in mass violence — the sort of horror perpetrated by big bombs, big armies and big nations. It’s the music of the trauma of war.

Which is a great way to describe why I've always liked their music. Big Grin

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:

And this is the main reason why I can't get into Metallica's music. IMO, the drumming is horrible.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to see Metallica in Houston a couple of weeks ago. It was an awesome show...

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
This thread is literally the only time I have ever heard someone criticize Lars' drumming.

Odd.

I've been a fan since day one, seen them several times from the 80s forward, and have had as many metal head friends over the years as I have hairs on my head (full head of hair here) and as a result have had countless conversations about the band and genre, and I've never heard a single comment to that effect.

Not that it means much, but I'm genuinely surprised.

posted Hide Post
Lars doesn't pretend to be a good drummer. He knows what he is and he has FU money so it's not like he's worried about improving his craft.

That's my problem with bands like them. Once they achieve that level of success, there's no reason to try anything new or improve their skills/abilities in any way. This isn't just Metallica, this is most every big name rock band ever.

Also, I was not impressed with Metallica live when I saw them. It did not have any energy or uniqueness you expect from a live show. It sounded like I was sitting in a stadium listening to their albums on a big sound system. That is not a good live show IMHO.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Uh-oh, somebody out in Denver doesn't like Metallica's recent concert and was really disturbed by it.

Metallica Brought a Soundtrack for Totalitarian Violence to Denver. Now What?

ROTFLMAO!!! The delusion is grand

And yet someone was talking about the Metallica concert they went to in Jersey recently and James kept espousing inclusiveness and everyone being part of the Metallica family regardless of age/race/gender/religion/etc etc etc.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, he's definitely no Danny Carey... Smile

But who else is? (Not many)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
This thread is literally the only time I have ever heard someone criticize Lars' drumming.

Odd.

I've been a fan since day one, seen them several times from the 80s forward, and have had as many metal head friends over the years as I have hairs on my head (full head of hair here) and as a result have had countless conversations about the band and genre, and I've never heard a single comment to that effect.

Not that it means much, but I'm genuinely surprised.

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVuylpybiI

NRA Life Member