SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2019 HBO trailer, Deadwood movie clip
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 HBO trailer, Deadwood movie clip Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Some of the dialogue was superb, absolutely delightful:

Charlie Utter: I decline your offer, Mr. Hearst. Thankin' you for your time and attention.

George Hearst: My experience over time has come to be- customarily, I am he who starts a negotiation. Names its finish, too.

Charlie Utter: Maybe gettin' motherfucked this mornin' in the thoroughfare- by a woman in the bargain- has somewhat got your back up. Not the accolade you'd looked for out your return to fuckin' camp.

George Hearst: Proffering that assessment, sir, is hardly your proper bailiwick.

Charlie Utter: Far as that, I went and proffered it any-fuckin' way.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I love this shot.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My very favorite scene was EB Farnum gazing with wonder and trepidation at the newfangled telephone and then shouting into it. Big Grin

Did you notice there were a fair number of electric lights around Deadwood in the movie? I thought this to be an anachronism but researched it and found that Deadwood was actually one of the FIRST towns in the US to have electric service.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I love this shot.

That indeed is some creative camera work. Sun coming from the back, yet not affecting the exposure. Determent look on Bullock's face and a somewhat apprehensive look on Sol's, while the two orientals look scared shitless and assessing a way out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
My wife binged watched the Deadwood series and I caught most of them with her the past couple of weeks and we watched the movie tonight. We both enjoyed it but she was really hoping the townsfolk would’ve finished off Hearst.

I’ll echo the majority here and feel it was a good way to end it, just wished it wouldn’t have taken over a decade to do it, thanks HBO for getting it done.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
There was an appearance, and I may be wrong, of the actor who shot Wild Bill placed in the crowded scene where the town folk are beating the Senator. He was bearded and I could have sworn he was in the crowd. Just wondering if I was the only one to spot him. If I remember correctly the joker who murdered Wild Bill was shot a few years later IRL.

I did see him in that scene, pretty neat one guy got three roles in the show.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's correct. Garret Dillahunt played three roles- two in the series and a cameo in the movie.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
*spoilers*

I liked the movie, but mostly just for the enjoyment getting to see the characters again and hear the dialog. The story wasn't particularly compelling, to me, and I wasn't thrilled with Al. He used to be as ruthless as anyone, but with a couple of soft spots, but in the movie I felt like he was portrayed as too much of an old softy. I was expecting/hoping he'd figure that with one foot in the grave already, he might as well take a shot at Hearst himself. Instead, he didn't do anything of consequence, and went out with a whimper.

I thought Bullock had a much more satisfying story line.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Some of the dialogue was superb, absolutely delightful:

Charlie Utter: I decline your offer, Mr. Hearst. Thankin' you for your time and attention.

George Hearst: My experience over time has come to be- customarily, I am he who starts a negotiation. Names its finish, too.

Charlie Utter: Maybe gettin' motherfucked this mornin' in the thoroughfare- by a woman in the bargain- has somewhat got your back up. Not the accolade you'd looked for out your return to fuckin' camp.

George Hearst: Proffering that assessment, sir, is hardly your proper bailiwick.

Charlie Utter: Far as that, I went and proffered it any-fuckin' way.

Para, to me, that was the best exchange of the script. I hit rewind 4-5 times laughing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I thought it was very good. I had just finished brushing up on season 3 and it felt like a pretty natural extension. I did think they made everybody look a little too old and I thought they softened Al up a bit too much.

There was definitely some fan service and I thought Jane's opening soliloquy was silly and unnecessary, but the story was pretty taut. I kinda like the fact that it felt like the show... no tidy wrap-up, no justice for Hearst, no swooping romance between Bullock and Alma. Just back to life as usual.

The dialogue was typical of the show. Charlie Utter was awesome. I loved Johnny's line "that's easier told than saddled and rode."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I just really enjoyed visiting some of my beloved characters again. I thought that the actors did a great job filling their roles years later without missing a beat.
I was delighted and had a great night watching one of my favorite shows with my wife.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I thought it was very good. I had just finished brushing up on season 3 and it felt like a pretty natural extension. I did think they made everybody look a little too old

“Made” them look a little too old?

It’s been 15 years since the show originally started, every actor has aged since then.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched it last night with a friend,

overall, a very good job, nice to see the progression in town,

sad that Al passed at the end, and it set itself up for a sequel, (wondering how that would be....)

I need to rewatch it a few times to get the little bits I surely missed in place,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm watching the series for the first time now. Just finished 2nd season, and I'm loving it now!

For those that haven't watched it, I hope you're not afraid of the word "cocksucker" (or San Francisco cocksucker).

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post