SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2019 HBO trailer, Deadwood movie clip
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 HBO trailer, Deadwood movie clip Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, was not blown away by it but felt they did a good job wrapping up the story with the two hours they had. IIRC this was originally going to be a two or three part movie so they really had little time to get the story concluded.

Yes, it was a little strange to see everyone so much older looking but you have to remember this show debuted in 2004! That’s a long time since then, and I liked how they set it 10 years after we last saw them in 1879.

My favorite scene was EB Farnum shouting with wonder into that newfangled one telephone the town had now in 1889. Big Grin

Posts: 33748 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Do you have to have seen the series to watch the movie?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

For it to make much sense or have any weight, I'd say yes.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. You have to know the backstories of the main characters, especially Swearengen, Bullock and Hearst.

This would be a good time to watch the original series, then watch the movie. There are 36 episodes over 3 seasons.

Posts: 33748 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Yes. You have to know the backstories of the main characters, especially Swearengen, Bullock and Hearst.

This would be a good time to watch the original series, then watch the movie. There are 36 episodes over 3 seasons.

I agree, and what a great viewing experience that will be. Start from the beginning via HBO Go or other outlets that are carrying the original series.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
There was an appearance, and I may be wrong, of the actor who shot Wild Bill placed in the crowded scene where the town folk are beating the Senator. He was bearded and I could have sworn he was in the crowd. Just wondering if I was the only one to spot him. If I remember correctly the joker who murdered Wild Bill was shot a few years later IRL.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
There was an appearance, and I may be wrong, of the actor who shot Wild Bill placed in the crowded scene where the town folk are beating the Senator. He was bearded and I could have sworn he was in the crowd. Just wondering if I was the only one to spot him. If I remember correctly the joker who murdered Wild Bill was shot a few years later IRL.

That was Garett Dillahunt who played a random drunk in the crowd in the movie. In the series he was Jack McCall, the killer of Wild Bill, then brought back to play another character; Francis Wollcot.

Did anyone hear any reference to Cy Tolliver? A friend thought he heard him mentioned in passing in the movie but I didn’t catch it.

posted Hide Post
Any Starbucks cups??

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did anyone hear any reference to Cy Tolliver? A friend thought he heard him mentioned in passing in the movie but I didn’t catch it.

Joanie Stubbs briefly mentioned him while having a conversation with Jane in the stables.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
quote:

Joanie Stubbs briefly mentioned him while having a conversation with Jane in the stables.

Yep. Joanie Stubbs tells Calamity Jane he left her the Bella Union.

I found it interesting Silas Adams was left out.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
quote:

Yep. Joanie Stubbs tells Calamity Jane he left her the Bella Union.

I found it interesting Silas Adams was left out.

Titus Welliver was busy with Bosch and couldnt commit to the film.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was good, if not great. But solid.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I was left wanting more. Good, but not great.
Has para commented yet?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I was left wanting more. Good, but not great.
Has para commented yet?

I get the impression that Para lost interest in Deadwood, he used to talk it up quite a bit about how great a series it was but haven’t seen him discuss it in a while nor comment on any Deadwood movie thread.

Para, have you watched the movie yet?

posted Hide Post
As many others: good, not great. A bit contrived to get folks back together, but that's what it was all about...

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Spoilers warning (in the linked articles) - if you haven't watched the movie.

David Milch's life took turns for the worst after Deadwood ended in 2006.

Some estimate Milch gambled away $100 million.

He owed the IRS $17 mil, had to sell homes, and his wife put him on a $40 per week budget.

https://www.hollywoodreporter....-100m-gambled-866184

Now at 74, Milch was diagnosed w Alzheimer's a year ago.

"Milch is here to watch, not interfere. He was a notorious micromanager during Deadwood’s original run, ordering reshoots if he didn’t like the way a scene was playing and dictating new dialogue from the sidelines for the cast to repeat. McShane has spoken of top-to-bottom rewrites being handed to actors just before the cameras rolled, the pages still hot from the copier."

https://www.vulture.com/2019/0...-deadwood-movie.html

Powers Boothe, who played Cy Tolliver, died in May 2017

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
My wife and I re-watched the series over the past few weeks, and then watched the movie last night.

The series made a few mistakes. First, the dialogue in the second season was way to flowery, making it difficult to understand what the characters were actually saying. Second, the big buildup at the end of the third season ended with a whimper, when everyone was expecting a big payoff. Of course, they couldn't have had a fight and killed a real-life character, which makes me think that Hearst shouldn't have even been the main antagonist in the third season.

The movie shouldn't have included Hearst at all, for the reason mentioned above. The first half was basically to show that all of the characters that we love (and hate - I'm looking at you, E.B.) were present and accounted for. The second half wrapped up the story, but still not in a satisfying way. Major characters in the series (Alma, Al) were secondary characters in the movie.

Secondary gripes: Dan looked out of place in his new outfit. What happened to Steve? What happened to Doc's tuberculosis? Why kill Charlie Utter, when the real-life Charlie Utter lived at least until 1910? What happened to Jack Langrish and his troupe (which I thought served no purpose in the series anyway)?

I don't know that they even needed an antagonist in the movie, because all they had to do was show what happened to the characters after the series had ended.

I'm not sure what they were actually trying to accomplish with the movie, but I was disappointed.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not entirely, which should tell you a great deal.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Didn't care for it?

To much fan service in it? They really did try to shoehorn every character in there from the series.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Frown

Well... Damn. I had high hopes, too.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post