SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stargate, specifically stargate universe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stargate, specifically stargate universe Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:

Have you watched Dark Matter? It's pretty good and into its 2nd season now. I'm really enjoying it.

actually, it's nearing the end of the third season, episode aired this week.

Hasn't felt like it's been on that long. Must be the damn year long hiatus these shows go through makes it hard to remember. I've watched it since the beginning I know that much.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I'm curious about the new stargate movie that's coming out either this year or next. It's going to be a remake and if it's good I hope it leads to another series

It's not a remake. It's a prequel.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
That said, I did like the finale (Continuum), but I've always been a sucker for altered-history stories.

I've never been an SG1 fan, but Continuum is outstanding. I re-watch it often.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of a new Stargate movie so I had to do a search for info.

This site says it's not happening:

The New STARGATE Movie Isn’t Happening, We Think It Should

but a new series is coming:

STARGATE Returns with STARGATE ORIGINS Live-Action Series

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I always felt like Universe failed because they forgot it was about a StarGate . . .Seriously the thing was basically a character in SG-1 and Atlantis and then Universe it was a ship, a scheming doctor, a fat kid with problems, and a really really hot soldier lady . . .

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they had to have gratuitous boobage. . .

They spent more effort on building inter-personal angst and tension between the crew members and hardly any on telling good stories. Somehow, they thought people wanted the angsty drama instead of good sci-fi stories.

The entire premise was garbage.

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I always felt like Universe failed because they forgot it was about a StarGate . . .Seriously the thing was basically a character in SG-1 and Atlantis and then Universe it was a ship, a scheming doctor, a fat kid with problems, and a really really hot soldier lady . . .

https://dvdbash.files.wordpres...vdbash-wordpress.jpg

I remember back to when the show was airing and she first appeared. Man, the Internet went nuts over her cleavage.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have always felt they painted themselves in a corner and created a boss that couldn't be beaten. So they what, left the galaxy? They never even explored the ship?
Anyway yes, it was a 'we make battlestar, we make big fancy show' fail. Honestly I didn't mind it being different but it's like the writers got lost.
For instance, the episodes that seemed to introduce a secret civilization that mysteriously stole a baby at birth. The episode ended with a mumford and sons song. Seemed like a neat twist, but then they just made her out to be cray cray and moved on. did they change writers? Did they get bored?
I got frustrated like when JAG burned down the admirals happiness for what? To be mean right before he retires? Just a shitty way for the character to end.
So I found that ending (jumping to another galaxy for all time) to be a real pisser.
I mean dang, they create this amazing starship and then what soap opera? That's all you got?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There were already in another galaxy. The ship was capable of traveling across the expanse of the universe, going from galaxy to galaxy with ease. But the ship never had the power needed to engage the ninth chevron to enable them to get back to Earth, so they're stuck on it.

Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There were already in another galaxy. The ship was capable of traveling across the expanse of the universe, going from galaxy to galaxy with ease. But the ship never had the power needed to engage the ninth chevron to enable them to get back to Earth, so they're stuck on it.

Yeah I remember, but the anti technology robot race that they couldn't escape from or beat was a whip. I would like to have seen them solve it, maybe contact dr. Who, hehe
I just found the drift to another galaxy to be a letdown for an ending. At least they didn't just kill them off .

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I had a hard time getting over how so many people with obvious personality defects were able to get security clearances to travel off planet...

I wanted to like SG:Universe, but just too much damn whining from the characters. It's a shame how writers can screw up a great idea.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I had a hard time getting over how so many people with obvious personality defects were able to get security clearances to travel off planet...

I wanted to like SG:Universe, but just too much damn whining from the characters. It's a shame how writers can screw up a great idea.

I think you nailed it. I never thought of it this way, but the Battlestar reboot was good because they had flawed characters. Adama violated human rights at times, but was a great commander. The President didn't always follow due process, but she was what the colonials needed. Starbuck was a great pilot but was a drunk. Tigh was a great XO, but was a crusty bugger who drank on duty. Baltar was a coward, but I had to like the guy anyways because of his charisma.

SGU had flawed characters, but they were just slimy douchebags. They had few, if any, redeeming qualities. I detested the lead scientist. The commander wasn't likeable. The only one I came close to liking was the senator's daughter (Chloe, IIRC). So, the show was hust a bunch of angsty douchenozzles fighting with each other in a bery unpleasant environment.

Compare SGU with a show that had a great cast - Firefly. I truly loved the characters and felt like I knew them. Night and day difference.