SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any drone pilots out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any drone pilots out there? Login/Join 
Picture of neckbone
posted
I've just started getting into FPV drone flying.

Got a FrSky radio, Fatshark goggles and a Mobula7 micro quad to play with before I make the bigger leap into building a 5" racer.

Was wondering if anyone had gone the full route of FAA, FCC compliance. Anyone built one?

I'm a little worried I may have come to the party too late with China trade war looming/happening. Seems like quite a bit of parts and materials come from that neck of the woods.

Thanks,

Neckbone

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Registered, FAA 107, and HAM tech here.

I don't get to fly nearly as much as I would like.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When you say "drone" do you mean the 12 lb type or the 12,000 lb type?

Asking for a friend. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I build, service and fly for a drone company. We haven't run into any supply chain issues yet. A part 107 license is nice to have, they do require you to know a lot of stuff that has little bearing on day to day operations however.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
how long can a flight last? will they eventually make it into the neighborhood watch tools of the trade?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
Man, I hope not - they're pretty loud and I certainly wouldn't want one circling over my house regardless of the noise. I think technology will catch up and we'll start seeing larger and more efficient props spinning at lower speeds to bring the noise levels down- or maybe higher altitudes with higher res cameras. Either way, we're going to have to deal with it in the next ten years or so and it's going to be a pandoras box for sure.

Our birds fly up to an hour depending on payload and wind speed. I don't think suas manufacturers are allowed to advertise flight times of higher than that, although I've never found the actual regulations that forbid it.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neckbone
posted Hide Post
I had a pretty cheap drone to start, and was thinking I was pretty good at it... Then I switched drones to FPV and acro mode and so far all I'm good at is crashing into the ground, although I did manage a split-S yesterday. Drone I'm using currently only flies for about 3 minutes at a time.

Tigereye313, any tips on where/what to study for the HAM tech cert?

Neckbone

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neckbone:
I had a pretty cheap drone to start, and was thinking I was pretty good at it... Then I switched drones to FPV and acro mode and so far all I'm good at is crashing into the ground, although I did manage a split-S yesterday. Drone I'm using currently only flies for about 3 minutes at a time.

Tigereye313, any tips on where/what to study for the HAM tech cert?

Neckbone

I used an Android app called Ham Test Prep from the play store, as well as reading on forum sites like eham.com.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have half an idea to get the Mavic-Pro, or similar.

A work guy was into them, had some great footage.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post