SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why cant I kill anyone in an FPS??????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why cant I kill anyone in an FPS?????? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I don't know what it is, any FPS I am playing, I pump 20 rounds into someone and they don't die, they hit me once or twice and I die.

We could both start shooting each other at the exact same time and I will lose, every fucking single time. Its annoying as hell, I never get more than a couple of kills a match. Guess its time to quit playing FPS games.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Feeling the same way after the update today in CODWW2.

Are you on a slow internet connection? Maybe lag is killing you.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Could be any of these factors, or a combination:

Lag/connection speed
Reaction time
Aiming sensitivity/control scheme
Tactics
Weapon selection/performance
Hit location (in most modern FPSs, hits to limbs do less damage than hits to torsos, which do less damage than hits to the head)

The last one requires some adjustment. When I started getting into playing Battlefield 1, I actually had to adjust the way I aimed/fired. I was getting creamed like you, especially in CQB. My initial instinct from years of both real-world shooting and playing FPS was to aim for center mass. But I discovered that it was actually better to aim for the upper torso and walk your rounds from a burst into the head area. That allowed me to be more likely to kill enemies in one burst, rather than dumping my rounds into the chest and losing.

I also had to spend a decent amount of time learning the different maps, and the different guns with their various strengths and weaknesses, and then adjusting my play style to tailor it to specific guns and specific maps. For example: If you run into an enemy at medium range, and you're using a gun that excels at short range combat but their guns works best at medium range, then you're going to lose. You have to learn to force them into close-range encounters, to maximize that gun's effectiveness and increase your chances of taking them down first. Or if you're on a map without many opportunities for short-range combat, then you need to switch to a gun that's better at longer ranges.

Unfortunately, all these advances in modern FPSs mean that they're not the casual games that they used to be. If you want to be competitive in online play, you have to devote the time to learning the intricacies of that game and learning the maps/guns/tactics. You can't pick them up for an hour a month and expect to win routinely in online play.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Games are much less forgiving than they used to be. For this reason, it's become all about adapting to the specific ruleset for whichever game you're playing. In the case of FPS games, I've become extremely frustrated with how they're played nowadays. I pretty much gave up on multiplayer FPS games.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I have the same problems. It's not even very fun for me to play most of those games. There are some people who are crazy good at it (they jump in with a jetpack and head-shoot me with a sniper rifle from 10 feet away before I even know they are there, for example). The modern FPS games definitely favor the 'dedicated' players. As a hack player, the best I can hope for is maybe a couple kills each game.

Battlefield One definitely captured the essence of WWI, IMO - that game is a meat grinder. For example, I:

Spawn into a tank; tank explodes 2 seconds later. I'm dead.

Spawn, run into a building, get shot in head by a guy camping in the corner. I'm dead.

Spawn out on the desert, run for 3 minutes to get to the action (they say Battlefield One is the greatest marathon simulator out there), I get shot in the head by a sniper from 2 miles away.

Run into an enemy, empty my magazine into him; he one-shots me in the head with a powerful short-range gun. I'm dead.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
These are things you can do to effect your outcome.

Do not play on your sofa with your tv. This is one of the biggest "fixes" to your k/d. Tv's do not provide the performance that a 24 or 27 inch monitor designed around gaming will provide. No matter what the stats on the tv say, they can not compete with the speed of a gaming monitor.

Sensitivity of your controller. A lot of people turn the sensitivity down so they can smoothly acquire a target. That is actually the wrong thing to do. You should be turning it up to get you in the zone quicker then use lds with aim assist to get you in the hit box. It's also good to come in and out of the lds to reaquire the hit box. Don't stay in lds it slows you down and kills your strafe. Kontrol freaks makes extensions for controllers that allow you to increase sensitivity but control it better.

Pre-aiming and Pre-shooting is always going to give you an advantage. Mondern games are set up with flinch. If you get hit first it acts like a mini stun and movies your point of aim. So who ever gets the shot off first has an advantage.

Knowing maps is key. Do you just run around looking for kills or do you know the choke points, frequent travel area's and all the lines of sight for them?

Most people run around looking down at the ground. You have to keep your gun up so a quick move left/right gets your lds to the hit box quicker.

When strafing left/right during a fight don't have the stick moving forward. That slows the strafe down.

Don't be a hero. Multiplayer games are not like single player where your encouraged to run out and be a killing machine. In multiplayer that just gets you killed. Don't be predictable try to trap your opponents because most likely they will see you and rush. Use that and the terrain to your advantage.

I went through what your describing when I switched from pc games to console games. It was a slap in the face to me, how bad I sucked. Then I made these changes and ended up ranked under 3k of 18 million on xbox.

The two most important for me were the gaming monitor and mastering maps.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Are you playing console games on a tv? Or pc games on a slow monitor?

I used to get a lot of input lag off my tv on my PS4, started wrecking when I went to a 1ms delay gaming monitor (BenQ)

Probably not the whole cause, but could be a factor

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I don't like the fact that most FPS nowadays will move the spawns. I liked it when you knew where you were going to spawn and where they were going to spawn. Now you can spawn and have an enemy in front of you and behind you so really your only course of action is to push forward and hope to kill the next enemy you run into.

I also don't like that these modern FPS have pretty much eliminated the strategy of camping, or what I like to call "area denial".

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Because you're old. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to git gud?

But no, I've lost me edge too. Is it because I'm a grandpa gamer now (32 is the new 69, erherherherherher), or are games just being made to cater to squads of Rainman autists who memorize every detail of the map, backed up by ADD addled Mountain Dew addicts?

Don't get me wrong, new maps get released and I do pretty good, but then after a week or two, I'm getting shot by guys camping by a one-inch crack in a wall or something equally dumb. It's frustrating, because I just wanna get online, and kill some folks, a little bit of teamwork and good sportsmanship. I don't mind getting killed, I don't mind losing, what I do mind is getting raped because I have a job and a girlfriend and other shit to do so I can't just sit there memorizing every detail of a map.

Of course, I'm sure there were some folks who might have said the same about me back in the day, when I played nothing but Karkand and Road to Jalalalalalaballs in BF2.

Also, it might be because I aim for my the crotch of my opponents, it's how I deal with my daddy issues. Don't judge me.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Because you're old. Big Grin

Oh I'm very aware that I suck.... I know skill is part of the issue.

But what's pissing me off is more like I said, if my guy and another both aim and fire at the exact same moment I will lose, every single time.

I know when the guy jumps upside down and twitch fires his sniper rifle with a perfect head shot, that's just the difference in me being old vs the new young kids. I can accept that.

I have a good internet connection, but I play on a big TV

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I play a lot of Rainbow Six Siege on PC and PS4 - the difference is incredible. Good sound is paramount, even in COD to a point. A good headset is usually all you need to step up your game, hearing someone come around a corner before they hear you will almost always give you the killshot.

Take 2 equally skilled players and put one on a 65" TV and the other on a 24" gaming monitor the guy with the monitor will win every time

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Yea, I always pick the perks that quiet my movement or hide me on minimaps. Surprise is my friend.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
TV set to game mode? Anyone else in the house eating up the wifi?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Headshots.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My age is probably the biggest reason I get my ass handed to me every time I play. My 16yr old son can get 30 to 50 kills per match when he plays COD. I'm having a great night if I get 10.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I hear you. I know it’s because I don’t get enough headshots but I just can’t retrain myself from shooting center mass. I spend a lot of time in the respawn screen Smile.

I got pretty good at Destiny PvP and started getting a big head. BF1 brought me back down to earth in a big way. COD is helping reinforce just how badly I suck. I still enjoy both games which is good because my scores indicate that I’m just there for fun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I bought a 42" TV and have it set to game mode. My internet is also the highest speed I can get (I regularly get 100mbps download and 25mbps upload speeds) at my house and my consoles are hardwired in, no wifi.

Once I get used to the game, I average 20-30 kills per game. My 11 year old not as good. I'm slowing inching my way up to max sensitivity where you just touch the controller and you spin.

I'm also known to aggressively wait for opponents (camping)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
aggressively wait

Stolen. Big Grin

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
aggressively wait

Stolen. Big Grin

When others do it, it is cowardly camping.

When I do it, I am honing a centuries-old military strategy of area denial, sniping, and tactical rear area infiltration, holding at risk the enemy's vulnerable rear areas, tying down resources that would otherwise be sent to the front.

Smile

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post