SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bosch on Amazon Prime
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bosch on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I finished it last week and agree. They did do a great job recreating the ambiance of the books. Titus Welliver is a strange fucker, but he works well as H. Bosch.

Apparently his tats are real. You'd think that an actor/actress would think twice about getting a lot of extensive tattoos. That could limit some of their future roles or make a challenge for the makeup department.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I finished it last week and agree. They did do a great job recreating the ambiance of the books. Titus Welliver is a strange fucker, but he works well as H. Bosch.

Apparently his tats are real. You'd think that an actor/actress would think twice about getting a lot of extensive tattoos. That could limit some of their future roles or make a challenge for the makeup department.

I’ve listened to several interviews/podcasts with him. He’s awkward, but certainly has a passion for his character development. He puts in the time and takes it seriously, he knew going in to Bosch he couldn’t cut any corners. Apparently his little brother is a huge fan of the novels and was pissed that Titus was going to play the role out of fear that he would ruin the character for him.

Also, Bosch getting a dog was Titus’ idea and had to really push for it. The writers originally wanted to not have the dog come back at the end of season 5 and leave it unknown. Titus fought that hard as the dog represents more than just a dog to Bosch. The dog’s story line is that he’s survived so much, like Bosch, and that he would know he’s finally loved and where “home” is now.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I just started to watch. Have been sick and the wife, too so a lot of laying around watching TV. Watched season 1 and 2, enjoyed them both a lot.

Haven't read any of the books, so not sure what deviations there are, probably for the best.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Actually you won’t mind the deviations at all. I’ve read all the books. Having the author (Michael Connelly) Actually on set every day makes sure the deviations make sense and the spirit of the story remains

For example, in the books Bosch was a tunnel rat in Vietnam. In the current book continuity he is 70ish.

Some of the stories in the series are taken from books when he is that old and just wouldn’t make sense without that adaption. By the same token some of the stories are taken from books that were written and take place in the 80s and 90s amd need contemporary adaptation to make sense

If this kind of crime drama appeals to you you’re missing out by not reading the books

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I just started to watch. Have been sick and the wife, too so a lot of laying around watching TV. Watched season 1 and 2, enjoyed them both a lot.

Haven't read any of the books, so not sure what deviations there are, probably for the best.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Actually you won’t mind the deviations at all. I’ve read all the books. Having the author (Michael Connelly) Actually on set every day makes sure the deviations make sense and the spirit of the story remains

For example, in the books Bosch was a tunnel rat in Vietnam. In the current book continuity he is 70ish.

I've read all the books as well (some more than once) and agree they do a good job staying faithful to the character in the books.

For example, the TV Bosch served in the first Gulf War, while the book's Harry Bosch was a Vietnam vet. And the TV Jerry Edgar emigrated from Haiti, the while there is no background offered for the book's Jerry Edgar. These are all minor points. Probably the biggest difference I can think of is Bosch's relationship with Irvin Irving.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
GET OFF
YOUR ASS
AND GO
KNOCK
ON DOORS

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just finished season 3, really enjoyable series

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

The same adaptation is made bringing Bob Lee Swagger to the screen. In the current books he is 70ish and a Vietnam Vet. Updated on the screen to current wars. Both authors began their book series much earlier, Connelly/Bosch in 1982 and Hunter/Swagger in 1993.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Just finishing E9 S5, second to the last and so far the best court room scene. Every time I read a Bosch novel I will see Titus Welliver. Michael Connelly's last Bosch novel, #22 The Night Fire, was dedicated to Welliver. Excellent read.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The book series is really good. I agree they stayed true to the characters, and stories are easily recognizable. Eleanor Wish's death was changed [ from Hong Kong ]. And [ The lincoln lawyer, Bosch's half brother, was who Bosch worked with along with his biker investigator ], with Matthew McConaughey playing him in the movie of the same name.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Harry you ok?

My dog ran off.

posted Hide Post
Can't wait for season 6 to start. The dog was predictable but good.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Can't wait for season 6 to start. The dog was predictable but good.

Nor can I. I like the series and the characters.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I found the phone call.at the end to the chief amusing.

Is everyone ok? Really? a triple?

Bosch

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I too can't wait for season 6.

now I have to find another series to watch in the hour I am home from work before I go pick my son up from the bus stop.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was shopping on Amazon today and they had a preview for season 6.

Kind of a 24 vibe. Radioactive stuff stolen and a dead guy.

So happy they are still supporting this show.

Grateful to the members of the forum for turning me on to this show.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Well, I need to thank Amazon for my great Birthday present. Big Grin

Oh, I am off all that weekend.

Going to start a slow refined binge watch of previous seasons leading up to this one.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Well, I need to thank Amazon for my great Birthday present. Big Grin

Oh, I am off all that weekend.

Going to start a slow refined binge watch of previous seasons leading up to this one.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bTGPN0Ugt8A" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

My Man!

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Sadly season 7 will be the final season.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Sadly season 7 will be the final season.

Weak sauce.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post