SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Book Recommendation Request: Motorsports Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book Recommendation Request: Motorsports Books Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Looking to add some books to the shelf.

Any suggestions for some non-fiction motorsports focused books?

Primary interest is F1, then endurance racing & rally. Not much into NASCAR or Indy.

Edit: Also touring/sports car racing & Isle of Man TT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple good ones on shelf at home in non-ebook form and will look up titles later.

This however was an outstanding read.

Beyond the Limit

As was this, with a forward by Niki:

Life at the Limit

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is a VERY good book that reads like a spy novel but is a true story. Not F1 but Motorcycle GP racing is also fascinating. In this case stolen Nazi rocket/exhaust tech was used to revolutionize two stroke exhaust design. This industrial espionage led to the rise of one Japanese manufacturer on the world racing stage during the two stroke era. (Suzuki)

It also covers the Isle of Man TT race as the author won a few races there I believe. It is a great book and not a terribly long read either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Speed Merchants. The ‘72 endurance racing season mostly. There were a lot of top drivers that year.

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-M...9-1972/dp/0837617596

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Alex Zanardi's book.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can recommend "Go Like Hell, Ford, Ferrari, and their battle for speed and glory at Le Mans" by A.J. Baime.

Posts: 163 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Valentino Rossi's autobiograhphy, What if I never tried it. It covers his career in detail and his highly controversial switch from Honda (#1 in the sport always) to Yamaha. It's only $4 and he is not only my hero, but arguably the best in history and the last ever 500cc champion. He is 40 years old and still racing.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Ha...graphy/dp/076033756X

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Enzo Ferrari” by Luca Dal Monte. Great detailed read about the guy who has influenced F1 as no other single individual. Easy read, starting with his birth. 900 pages, so takes a while to read.
Extra benefit, it looks impressive on your bookshelf.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Perhaps check out Steve Matchett's books. For those who may not know, Matchette was a mechanic for Benetton's Championship F1 team, then a technical editor for F1 Racing Magazine, and an F1 broadcaster.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps check out Steve Matchett's books.

Mechanic's Tale was excellent. I passed that one along to another enthusiast.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, have a decent list going now.
Will have to pick up a couple & start a collection....may need a new bookshelf.

Now the debate....physical or kindle?
May go Kindle on a few, as the price difference is significant. Like on stickman's Stealing Speed. $121 hardcover, $61 paperback, $8 kindle...

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That book got expensive. I got a few copies on amazon or eBay for like $15 a few years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Whoa! That book got expensive. I got a few copies on amazon or eBay for like $15 a few years ago.

Granted, that was just a quick Amazon search, didn't look for other sources yet.

Also have a large 1/2 Price Books not far from my house. May swing in there & attempt to browse, though the last time I was there it was a bit halfhazard.