Picture of P250UA5
posted
Anyone planning on attending?
Seriously making an effort to make it this year. Just need to decide on tickets
-General Admission
-Turn 4
-Turn 15 Lower

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We went the first two years, they definitely had their act together by year two. I expect it's just gotten better since.

We sat midway up in Turn 12 with gives a decent view of one of the few passing zones plus turns 13-16 as well. No cover tho....

May try to go again this year, our college team won't be playing at home that weekend and we should be free.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looking at the track map, turn 12 looks like one of the better ones:

Turn 12 lower is pretty close to turn 9 for 3 day tickets.

What all does GA ticketing provide for? Where are the GA seating areas, or is it free range except for the bleachers?

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
What all does GA ticketing provide for? Where are the GA seating areas, or is it free range except for the bleachers?

Here's a decent map, but the one key area it doesn't show is the mass of people that end up on the grass leading up to T1. Unless they've restricted that (which I doubt) there were TONS of people there, but they arrived early and it was jam packed. Also very steep hill, probably a climbing exercise if it has rained.

Other than that and the indicated areas below, it's not terribly easy to find other GA options. Many of the bleachers are right up to the fencing/blocked areas, and in areas like between T11 and stands coming down straight the view is awful. No elevation, you are right up on the track with no view other than the tops of cars as they fly by hidden by the wall.

Also, unlike Indy, they are pretty strict, or were, on not letting you in areas you don't have an assigned seat even on Fr/Sat. I get Sat since there are more folks there but Practice? Come on! Second year was a little better, and we basically watched each practice session from a different area starting with T4 and working our way around the track.

Also, IMHO the premium parking isn't worth it. They have a great shuttle system setup taking folks back and forth to town. It's a fair hike from the track to pickup, but if you're not unable to make that it's the way to go.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info George. GA is likely the route it'll come, as I'm thinking it'll be a Father's day gift from my girls.

GA seating between T6-T8 looks good, if the view isn't obstructed, otherwise, maybe around the tower. May have to go look back at the last couple races & see where the most action/passing takes place. T1 would be great, same for T12.

I've got family in NW Austin I can stay with & maybe I can sweet talk them into drop-off/pick-up service. Depends on if any of my online pals are going to be attending; not opposed to a bit of walking for a shuttle or other parking.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Update:
Early Father's Day gift. Wife just told me she got us Turn 9 tickets!

Sold her on it, because Justin Timberlake is doing the concert on Saturday.

Let me know if any of you will be there. Let's meet up!

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

We may go if the series looks interesting still by that time of year - always a tough decision as tickets go early.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post