SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fifth Element - 20th Anniversary showing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fifth Element - 20th Anniversary showing Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted
For the 20th anniversary of the Fifth Element, the film is being shown in theaters on May 14 and May 17. My husband is a fan of Luc Besson and has always liked the movie, so I bought us tickets for May 14. I'm less keen on it, but to my surprise, I really enjoyed seeing it in a theater.

An interview with Besson aired before the movie and had some interesting info about the filming and origin of the movie. There was, of course, a lot of talk and advertising for his new movie coming out this summer, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

If anyone is interested in catching the May 17 showing of the Fifth Element, you can check here to see if a theater in your area is participating.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
The ms. and I went to see it. Great movie as always. It was even better on the big screen. We are excited for Valerian as well, it looks amazing, cant say what the story will be like but the effects so far look great. Interesting commentary before the movie about how long it took him to write the story for The fifth element.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite fun movies. Not showing out here in fly over country. No biggie as it looks good on my decade old 65" HD RPTV Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
It was in HD and looked pretty damn fantastic, might have to get the new 4k blu ray.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At its core, it's a silly film, but I've seen it maybe 10 times, so...

Ol' Luc has a thing for little girls. You can see it in this film (the baby talk from LeeLoo when she crashes through the roof of the cab, and the band-aids they dressed her in) and you can see it in The Professional with a very young Natalie Portman.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107255 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a fun movie. I'd like to see on the big screen, but I didn't notice it playing here.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats with the high price tickets? Regular matinee showing is like $5 more than a regular new release ticket

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aziz, Light...!!!

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
At its core, it's a silly film, but I've seen it maybe 10 times, so...

Ol' Luc has a thing for little girls. You can see it in this film (the baby talk from LeeLoo when she crashes through the roof of the cab, and the band-aids they dressed her in) and you can see it in The Professional with a very young Natalie Portman.

I've never put it together, but you're so very right. I did a little reading about Besson after seeing your post, and I learned he started dating his second wife when she was 15 and he was 32 or so. Hmm.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ol' Luc has a thing for little girls.

Originally posted by cheesegrits:
He started dating his second wife when she was 15 and he was 32 or so.

Yeah, he was dating Maïwenn Le Besco during the making of Léon. She played the blonde prostitute in the beginning of that film, and the singing blue alien in Fifth Element.

In a behind-the-scenes of Léon, Natalie Portman stated how she went in to read for the role of Mathilda, but the casting people sent her home for being too young. Meanwhile, Luc Besson was upset that the actresses coming in were too old and experienced looking. They all "know sex", and Luc wanted an actress that "thought she knew sex, but obviously did NOT," so they called back Natalie to read again.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the singing blue alien in Fifth Element.

The Diva is played by French Actress Maiwenn Le Besco. Her singing voice is provided by Albanian Opera Singer Inva Mula-Tchako.

I always thought that was Sarah Brightman.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
Whats with the high price tickets? Regular matinee showing is like $5 more than a regular new release ticket

It is a limited release of a 20 year old film. They have a limited audience and only four showings over two nights. They have almost all the hard costs of movie release, and the theaters are commiting to likely being screwed over on costs, so the money has to come from somewhere.

We enjoy the Fathom Events showings of movies and are willing to pay extra to see those movies. They don't re-release shlock. They show either very popular movies, or highly regarded classics.

Why do people pay more for a S&W Highway Patrolman than a brand new Taurus? Would you rather see 'Apocalypse Now', or 'Hostel vs Saw 13'?

ETA: plus our tickets were only $10.75 each (plus the 'convenience of Fandango' fee). I was surprised, as I'm pretty sure current first run movies are more than that. Either way, two plus hours of good entertainment is worth more than $10.75 to me. YMMV.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was great to see big.

Wife had never sat through the whole thing. She really liked it, thought Gary Oldman was awesome crazy. Now she needs to sit and watch Leon.

Valerian is out soon.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have seen all of 5th E in parts on cable but it was worth the money to see the movie straight through in theater. Leeloo is even more perfect on the Big Screen. More importantly, the close up shots of the actors' emotional reactions conveyed by facial expressions was much more affective than the TV.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post