SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars saga, I don'tget it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars saga, I don'tget it. Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
The original three and Rogue One are the only ones really worth watching. The rest are garbage with a few nice fight scenes thrown in.

Amen to this.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Star Wars affects different people different ways. I am 71 and took my oldest, now 46 to see the first one when it opened. His brother, now 42 is a rabid fan along with his brother. His daughter's room, much to my wife's dismay is all Star Wars. My oldest son has half a basement dedicated to superhero's and Star Wars stuff. Harmless, and I probably did not help as I was big fan of Sci Fi and even the early serials. So much that my youngest a graphic artist when he did a Zorro History book dedicated it to me for all the pulp stories he grew up on. It could be worse he could be a liberal.

Ass for all the Star Wars movies I think of them like westerns, I am old and The Mandalorian really sets that up. All that said episode 4,5,6, were excellent. Episode 3 OK and the rest well . . . especially you kill Han Solo and you lose me.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
...and just used the universe that was created to tell interesting space tales.

Had Disney just stuck with that premise, and beat whatever producer/director/screen runners over the head with it, they wouldn't be in the polarizing debacle they're in. R1 is example #1 of how to do it. Miraculously, Kennedy allowed Favreau/Filoli to create The Mandalorian, and not meddle.

I recall when Lucas sold the franchise, opinions fell into: 1) Great! the stories can finally get away from Lucas' Jar-Jar Binks/Anakin juvenile story writing or, 2) Oh shit! Disney is gonna princess the Eff out of the series.

Well...the saga traded the childishly pathetic ep.1-3 stories, for the poorly developed and directed disasters of ep.7-9.

Meanwhile, Lucas is laughing as he counts his money.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Original trilogy is loved here. Prequels were pretty much trash except some key scenes. Attack of the Clones was decent, like Rogue One was decent. That's it, just decent. The original trilogy was amazing and I have seen nothing since the original Matrix that blew me away like them. The original trilogy was done with heart. When Disney took over it's different, it's $ generation. They play the safe route, make sure to make the script play well for the Chinese and foreign markets and are just too afraid to take the chances, or make it an adult thing. Disney have no heart or passion into the film making. They are made to make money, be inclusive, have female leads to satisfy SJW, and basically fit into the modern political and societal narratives. The Disney films are also mind blowingly simpleton in nature. Lowest common denominator. To be honest they are like the Marvel films. Simpleton, designed to make $, not be great standalone films, and web them out (no pun intended) into backstory, stand alones. Quantity over quality.

Dumb shit like "the first order" instead of just calling them the Empire. As ridiculous as these films are I would have just called them the New Order and had "How does it feel, to treat me like you do" playing in the background. Bringing the old fuck Emperor back. Man let that guy be dead, come up with some new shit. A lack of writing talent just rehashing the same shit. JJ is not the director I would have used for anything. The first Disney Star Wars was the original film rehashed, playing it safe. Killing Han, making Luke into a big tattay milking pussy, I mean just stupid. A better story would be a Luke wanting to fight them off and teaching the new student to be his partner leading the Rebellion. Shit it's Charlie Angels Star Wars now with Mary Sue. Somehow I watched Wonder Woman and didn't feel like it was SJW. Every leader being a woman whether it's the trilogy, Rogue One, I mean it's just too much for me.

I don't have New Hope for anything Disney touches. The last thing they did I had high respect for was Tron Legacy. That was, to me, and incredible sci-fi film with some rehash but was done extremely well, especially the CGI and soundtrack. The story wasn't bad either. Sci-fi, I saw BR2049 was taken back with how well it was done. An incredible film and the best sequel I have ever seen (prior I would have said ESB). And it didn't do well at the box office, which I'm still surprised by because it was such a great film. So much of this is Disney but some of it is the stupidity of modern society. They are not demanding. They want low brow, popcorn films, "turn my brain off", and are referred to in the industry as the "low demanding" audience. Everything is being made for them and don't expect much change.

They will have to get hardcore to change direction of the ship. Bring in the best writers, bring in top shelf directors, take chances, be innovative. And Disney just doesn't do that. Play it safe is all they do, lowest common denominator.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one. I’ve tried to like it, but just can’t get into it.

Also, I hate the original Star Trek, but love STTNG, but none of the other spin offs.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
For those of us around in 1977, IV was something very, very special. I saw it with my then girlfriend in a huge theater in the West End of London equipped with new fangled 'surround sound' and vibration. I can still remember the sense of awe when the Star Destroyer (apparently) came over our heads in the first scene. The SFX were jaw dropping at the time, and the story was a perfect example of the 'Heroes Journey' trope with the naive young hero, the wisecracking anti-hero and his sidekick, the sage old wizard, the 'Damsel in distress' and the Dastardly Villains in black hats, defeated by the guys in white, just in time.

The plot could fit any number of film genres such as westerns, medieval romances, sword and sorcery, cartoons, etc. but it was the way it was told and the time it was made that made it special.

Has it aged well? In some ways yes, but people's perceptions are colored by the newer episodes in the franchise (since ROTJ) and the heavy handed insertion of all the PC tripe and kid friendly characters and really the simple story has been overpowered by it all.

Disney has sanitized it so much (to generate the $$ from the juvenile market) that people forget that IV was more of a 'Young Adult' film and wasn't really aimed at children at all.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Aw shucks, no love for the Holiday Special?

Maybe if they had more social justice involved...

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of how good SW can be when some fans w/ some skill & resources went to work.

Imagine how good the Disney SW movies could be if they put people who cared for and understood the SW universe in charge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iron chef,

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I probably wouldn’t care for it if it was all like that.

I really like the Ep 4-6 and Mandalorian. It feels more space westerny. Less space MMA Kung-fooey.

EDIT - Okay I watched it again. It’s pretty good at showing Anakins rage at his teacher. Not terribly kungfooey. Prequels were tho.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9152 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The movies weren't always so great and some were pretty bad but it wasn't the movies themselves that made me a fan, it was the world that Lucas made. It looked like nothing before and here was an entire galaxy of planets, exotic alien cities and their strange inhabitants, the space ships, the weapons...everything. It was the potential for all the adventures that could take place there. Unfortunately, Disney never took advantage of all this potential, it's mostly been squandered even by Lucas himself.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post