SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars saga, I don'tget it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars saga, I don'tget it. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I'm 61 YO. Still remember coming out of the movie theater in 1977 when the movie first showed in Brussels, Belgium, asking myself wtf i had just watched.

This afternoon, quarantined in my appartment in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I watched the last instalment of this saga, having forced myselt to watch all the others in between.

I stillp don't get it. I still find it silly. It's been 30+ years of giving it another opportunity.

What is wrong with me?

I like or enjoy almost any other sci-fi saga you can throw at me.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just watch episodes 1 through 6 - they're all about Darth Vader's life. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people just don't care for it. I was 9 when it first came out and it rocked my young world. I've been a huge fan ever since. Please let me recomend that you try and purge the last 3 movies from your mind. Pretend they never happened and you're Star Wars experience will be so much better.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I'm 61 YO. Still remember coming out of the movie theater in 1977 when the movie first showed in Brussels, Belgium, asking myself wtf i had just watched.

This afternoon, quarantined in my appartment in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I watched the last instalment of this saga, having forced myselt to watch all the others in between.

I stillp don't get it. I still find it silly. It's been 30+ years of giving it another opportunity.

What is wrong with me?

I like or enjoy almost any other sci-fi saga you can throw at me.

0-0

You and I are in the same boat...when my late wife and I exited the theater in 1977...we were swept away with we had just seen...nowadays I watch the series and think WTF is this...I know, I know things related to movies have evolved but the latest renditions are lacking Frown ...it ain’t just you 0-0 Wink...stay well my friend !

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager and saw SW the movie made an impression on me as being a children's movie. So you are not alone in not being enthralled by the saga. Probably my interest in World War Two innoculated me against hokey SW fantasy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Nothing to get, really. You're not alone.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The original three and Rogue One are the only ones really worth watching. The rest are garbage with a few nice fight scenes thrown in.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Disney shouldn’t have extended the saga. The Mandolorian is a different matter and actually good..

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was listening to a Podcast that was discussing Ep 1-9 (or maybe just 1-7 or 8 at the time)and stating they couldnt wait until Star Wars divorced themselves from the Skywalkers and just used the universe that was created to tell interesting space tales.

I really agree with that sentiment. I like the original trilogy and Rogue One is a great movie. While Rogue One is obviously closely related I think that and the Mandolorian show that point to be pretty good as well.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched episode IV 7 times in the theater as a young teen,

bought the series (IV, V, VI) VHS tape when I finally got a VHS player in the mid 80's

VI is a really good action flick in space, follows the formula, and for the time it was made, great fun and great special effects,

V was good, some say better, some say worse, but good,

VI had issues, mostly to me in product marketing, (geared towards kids and toys to me more than a good story) but still a good movie,

the rest , sucked,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
The original three and Rogue One are the only ones really worth watching. The rest are garbage with a few nice fight scenes thrown in.

pretty much this

the Ewoks were a step backward obviously

all the rest were just milking the cash cow

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Just watch episodes 1 through 6 - they're all about Darth Vader's life. Wink

Nah, just go Rogue One, then 4-6. The rest doesn't exist. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Star Wars is fun, but it's certainly not for everyone. Those dudes who make it seem like the greatest thing ever, and you're a dipshit for not worshiping George Lucas' nutsack, are insane. Of course those lunatic fans are why Star Wars still exists, and there's new content, movies, books, games, what have you for more casual fans to enjoy, they're still fucking insane.

Grew up on the original trilogy, they're great, haven't seen them in probably 20 years though. Watched Episode 1 and 2, didn't get to 3 because I watched 1 and 2 and don't like getting burned more than I have to. Saw 7, 8, and 9, they were ok, but I could have really done without them. Rogue One was cool and works as a standalone movie even if you're not into the Star Wars universe. Solo I thought was ok, but it's essentially a cliche heist movie, which would be fine if it also wasn't supposed to be an origin story for Han Solo.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I liked Star Wars but wasn't a rabid fan. I would go to the theater to see the latest one and would watch them on TV if they were ever on. However after watching The Last Jedi, I don't care if I ever see it again. Just can't bring myself to care about it anymore.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.
Those were a treat. I also saw the one with the Red and Black Hellraiser looking dude, can’t remember the name. Lost interest with that one.
I was not alive for the original release but was in middle school when they rereleased the good three in the theater.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I remember sitting in the theatre at 11 years old watching Return of the Jedi with the Ewoks in it thinking, “this is cheesy”. You’re not alone.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Star Wars is for kids.

There are a bunch of man-children out there now, and you might be friends with a couple. They think Star Wars is some rich piece of literature. Those overgrown children have been stunted by the corrosive liberal coddling culture that surrounds us now, and are unable to truly comprehend or think critically about art on their own, so they think video games and cartoons are all that is relevant.

Star Wars is not, and never has been fine literature. It's a fun escape from reality, for children, and nothing more.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I saw the first one when it came out in the theaters

good entertainment

reminded me a bit of a spaghetti western

I haven't seen any of the others

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The term commonly used is "space opera." Or, another way: an "oater."

It's a basic, good-vs-evil cowboy movie serial of the 1950s that takes place in outer space. Good, entertaining stuff for kids.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance there is a making of Star Wars show that does a good job of explaining the history of it and behind the scenes stuff. Should be about an hour or two long, but I can't narrow it down much more. Might not help you like it, but you'll at least know a bit more about it. It's actually quite miraculous that the first (Episode IV) movie ever got made let alone became what it did.

Yes, they are kids movies. So is every other movie rated PG-13 or less. Not many can claim much of anything significant in common with SW though IMO.

If as adults we lose EVERYTHING we ever enjoyed as kids then I think we're doing it wrong.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post