SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix - Season 4 of The Crown is out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix - Season 4 of The Crown is out Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Seem to recall some of us watching this. I don't recall seeing any notifications/ads/whatever, but it is out now.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it me, or do they take every opportunity to put everyone in the Royal Family in the worst light possible?

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
Is it me, or do they take every opportunity to put everyone in the Royal Family in the worst light possible?

I think they're doing a great job on humanizing all those involved in the politics of the time(s). Really a good series generally and so far (on the fourth episode) the latest season is great. The acting, writing, production values, etc... are very impressive. IMHO, it's very fair-handed in it's political as well as personal views of those examined.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The Crown has, by far, the best cinematography of any TV series I have watched. The music is good. The writing and acting is strong. The locations are iconic. Everything is very well done. A must watch series.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Kind of neat seeing the scenes in Scotland. Last year, my wife and I rented a cottage on the estate they are using as a substitute for Balmoral. I have a strong feeling that Charles’ popularity is going to take a major hit from this season.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Kind of neat seeing the scenes in Scotland. Last year, my wife and I rented a cottage on the estate they are using as a substitute for Balmoral.

Did you have your own train streaking through the countryside? What a way to travel: your own train, plane, ship, Rolls.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Did you have your own train streaking through the countryside? What a way to travel: your own train, plane, ship, Rolls.

I wish but we did have a nice Audi AWD mid sized SUV for our rental.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Probably start it up tonight.
My wife got me watching it with her & we worked through the first 3 seasons pretty quickly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:

Well, that stuff makes for more drama. If they all got along and were sweetness and light, it wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining.

Plus, some of them were not very likable. Margaret was, in fact, a bit of a pill. Charles certainly has his flaws, and from what I know, Philip was kind of a hard-ass father.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:I have a strong feeling that Charles’ popularity is going to take a major hit from this season.

His popularity has always been lower than other members of the family. If anything, he got many of the short-comings of his parents. His father is an aloof, ass and his mother early on had to develop a very hard shell as monarch which cost her the warm, nurturing figure we see mother's for.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The intro music reminds me of "House of Cards". Why? I love both and never skip the intro.

posted Hide Post
I can't say about the accuracy of events in the early seasons but this season, the show runners are stretching things quite a bit.

Thatcher and her husband are invited to a retreat at Balmoral and are made to look like fools by the royal family by not being prepared or, fitting-in. While I'm sure there was differences in taste with the choices in entertainment and social scene, I find it hard to believe that they'd pack evening formal dress but, not have presence of mind or, been informed to pack their Wellington's and tweed for day-time stalks. Highly unlikely the Prime Minister of the country and her spouse, are going to be subject to childish/petty acts.

Michael Fagan, who twice broke into Buckingham Palace was high on mushrooms, he remembers very little and the Queen has said what was said was very superficial. He's portrayed as a destitute, slacker father, over-come with the his life choices and wants to vent to somebody high up in government. The show uses it as commentary against Thatcher's policies and a voice for the people not to mention Fagan's side-barb commentary on the dowdy-musty feel of the palace interior.

The Queen's weekly meetings with Thatcher, after voicing her concern of her economic policies and how its affecting common citizens like Fagan, is seen as being unaware of the Falklands War. In reality, her own son Andrew was a helicopter pilot in the war, she was getting daily briefings and Phillip was all over the conflict, as was the rest of the household.

There's plenty of topics where the royal household can be poked at for being unaware of current events but, I think they did a bad job with this one.

One of the early episodes, that focused almost entirely on Diana, had the closing music of Stevie Nick's Edge of Seventeen...spot on.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The very notion of caste, nobility, high born, and divinely sent/empowered humans that are somehow more important than others is as vile a notion as any, ever, and any derision the House of Windsor, et al, and their ilk receive is but a tiny scratch in a history of fuckery that deserves no reprieve whatsoever.

That they're allowed to live at all and not be strung high in town square is an amazing testament to the forgetfulness and forgiveness of the rest of the world, and the might of their military and intelligence apparatus. They should all shut the fuck up and quitely live out their useless lives in anonymous solitude.

That said, the show is entertaining, and well done/acted/etc. I just finished season 4 a few days ago.

But it centers around generally uselsss, clueless, nobodies with an outrageous history, with no real right to what they stole from the rest of the world. Give back all the lands, all of the treasures, all of the ill gotten booty they've absconded with, and maybe, just maybe, they deserve some water in a blazing fire.

The ginger and his stupid B-actress wife need to GTFO of the US, too.

Get your "royal" garbage out of here.

The queen seems a decent enough human, all things considered, doing ber best to manage the madness, but if she were truly honorable she'd end the monarchy with herself, once and for all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
The very notion of caste, nobility, high born, and divinely sent/empowered humans that are somehow more important than others is as vile a notion as any, ever, and any derision the House of Windsor, et al, and their ilk receive is but a tiny scratch in a history of fuckery that deserves no reprieve whatsoever.

That they're allowed to live at all and not be strung high in town square is an amazing testament to the forgetfulness and forgiveness of the rest of the world, and the might of their military and intelligence apparatus. They should all shut the fuck up and quitely live out their useless lives in anonymous solitude

Yikes.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

That they're allowed to live at all and not be strung high in town square is an amazing testament to the forgetfulness and forgiveness of the rest of the world, and the might of their military and intelligence apparatus. They should all shut the fuck up and quitely live out their useless lives in anonymous solitude.

That said, the show is entertaining, and well done/acted/etc. I just finished season 4 a few days ago.

But it centers around generally uselsss, clueless, nobodies with an outrageous history, with no real right to what they stole from the rest of the world. Give back all the lands, all of the treasures, all of the ill gotten booty they've absconded with, and maybe, just maybe, they deserve some water in a blazing fire.

The queen seems a decent enough human, all things considered, doing ber best to manage the madness, but if she were truly honorable she'd end the monarchy with herself, once and for all.

Feel better....did you eat a Snickers yet?

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

I am on board with all of this. Having their disgusting philandering and coverups and all of that bs on TV for everybody to see is wonderful, imo. If they are going to have any light shone on them, let it be a negative one. #stoppedcaringin1776

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat lighter note, did anyone else notice the, ah, uncredited cameo at about the 1-ish-minute-mark or so of S4E3? LOL...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Seasons 1-3 were excellent.

Three episodes in, Season 4 leaves me cold. I just can't bring myself to give a fuck about their personal problems. Poor babies...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
On a somewhat lighter note, did anyone else notice the, ah, uncredited cameo at about the 1-ish-minute-mark or so of S4E3? LOL...

Didn't catch it.

Was it Jeffrey Epstein?

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:

Didn't catch it.

Was it Jeffrey Epstein?

LOL - now, that’s funny!

It happens right after Princess Margaret is seen having her nails polished. The “guest” is seen only for a brief moment.

No spoilers here, but there has been a mild uproar about it online elsewhere - unsure / unreported at this point if the cameo was planned or not.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post