BattleBots 2019

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/2000015754

June 04, 2019, 10:39 PM
Ripley
BattleBots 2019
Friday on the Discovery Channel.
Here's the blurb from the website --

Great News BotFans! BattleBots is back! Our 2019 season will begin airing on Discovery Friday, June 7th and Science Channel Wednesday, June 12th (with extra footage!). The new season will be two blocks of 8-episodes (16 total with a mid-season break). Each episode will be 2-HOURS LONG complete with incredible fights and amazing behind the scenes footage from the Pit (where the robots are repaired between battles). Don’t miss the all new, Botastic, 2019 BattleBots!

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
June 05, 2019, 06:51 AM
Fed161
It's a fun show to watch. Highly recommended!
June 05, 2019, 02:12 PM
SBrooks
I like to watch, but consider DVR nearly mandatory for that show. Skip the commercials and skip some of the intro to each fight. Just give me the fighting and I watch a little bit of the pit stuff...

------------------
SBrooks
June 05, 2019, 02:29 PM
Lord Vaalic
I have loved this show for years, glad to see it coming back.

My son and I never miss an episode. Some very creative engineering happening, and of course the carnage

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
June 05, 2019, 06:30 PM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
I like to watch, but consider DVR nearly mandatory for that show. Skip the commercials and skip some of the intro to each fight. Just give me the fighting and I watch a little bit of the pit stuff...

Agreed. I just fast forward through most of the filler.
June 07, 2019, 09:03 PM
RichN
Some great battles tonight.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
June 07, 2019, 09:07 PM
.38supersig
Thinking Rotator would have a chance if they learned how to drive backwards/put the spinner on the back.

It was good to see Valkyrie get their yap shut.

Good stuff.

June 07, 2019, 10:40 PM
Ripley
Some comprehensive butt kicking tonight. Big Grin

June 08, 2019, 07:18 PM
RichN
Death Roll might be a contender if they can figure out how to keep it stable.

The biting bots actually seem to be effective this year.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

June 29, 2019, 11:40 AM
Lord Vaalic
the hammer bots never seem to do much damage.

It's good to see a bunch of new bots involved. Tombstone is just a beast

June 29, 2019, 12:07 PM
Ripley
Duck! vs. Cobalt was as entertaining a fight as I've seen, dedicated spinner beater vs. devastating spinner. A match for the ages. Eek Eek

June 29, 2019, 12:16 PM
pulicords
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Duck! vs. Cobalt was as entertaining a fight as I've seen, dedicated spinner beater vs. devastating spinner. A match for the ages. Eek Eek

I'm not sure what impressed me more, the resilience of Duck or the good sportsmanship of Cobalt's crew afterwards. My almost all standards, they had Duck "in the bag"! Amazing match! I love this show!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
June 29, 2019, 02:02 PM
YooperSigs
I like the show but the play by play guys could tone down a bit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 09, 2019, 04:00 PM
Lord Vaalic
Bronco... once one of the best, gets spanked all season long.

September 09, 2019, 04:09 PM
RichN
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yeah, if you had wanted to bet me $100 at the start of the season that Bronco would go 0 and 4 I would have taken that bet in a heartbeat.

- Benjamin Franklin

September 09, 2019, 04:54 PM
.38supersig
Seems odd that the guy who ran Nightmare to victory now has Duck! with a ramp.

Nightmare kicked ass and had the only answer for Biohazard (If you aren't familiar with Biohazard, imagine a pissed off floor tile that never quits). SOW was designed just for Biohazard.

Hydra is currently the closest thing to Biohazard, just a lot higher and better flips.

September 09, 2019, 05:56 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yep, and though not as ineffective, Tombstone is not so invincible either. Tombstone seems as likely to damage themselves as the opponent. Also struggling in a surprise, Minotaur.

It seems the most consistent form-factors this year are vertical spinners, not drums. Massive hits and damage, elevating opponents but less likely to throw yourself the opposite way.

September 13, 2019, 08:15 PM
.38supersig
Yay! I don't have to listen to that loud mouth b***h from Valkyrie anymore! Woo Hoo!

Donald Hutson looked more like Col. Sanders going through a hen house.

Too bad the rakes didn't work, but the eggbeater didn't either.

ROTATOR spelled backwards is Blacksmith +1

Copperhead would have won if he had gotten around to the side of Whyachi... wait a minute... Nevermind.

Cobalt v/s Minotaur v/s Battlebox. The box lost, I'd hate to have to judge the other two and explain why.

Who do you guys think will be able to pull it off?

September 14, 2019, 11:09 AM
Lord Vaalic
Whyachi vs Hydra would be cool to see brother vs brother.

Donald Hudson just violated Scorpios.

September 14, 2019, 12:16 PM
Ripley
It seems to be the most competitive season yet. Old dominators stumbling and perennial losers moving on. Epic destruction this year but full three minute toe-to-toe battles too.

I think I'm most surprised by Huge, amazing durability -- except against big horizontal and full body spinners -- and a surprisingly effective vertical spinner itself. They're not going to win it all but, what, 4-1 against strong competition?! Yikes.