SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Time it takes to choose a show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time it takes to choose a show Login/Join 
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted
Was listening to the radio today and the DJs were talking about how it takes a "millenial" 10 minutes to choose a show to watch on Netflix, while us older folks can decide a new show in 5 minutes.

Apparently its the difference between just choosing a classic we enjoyed and feel like watching again, vs being paralyzed with too many choices and fear of missing out.

For me it sounds dead on, I love watching a show I've seen before, and if I did decide to try something new, it does seem to take longer to see if it would be worth my time to watch.

Anyone else just go "Ohhh Adam-12!" and just hit play?

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It takes me way longer than 10 minutes to choose a new show

Mainly because it’s a lot of

No

No

No

No

Maybe......nah, no

No

No

(And I’ve already watched Miami vice and magnum pi again many, many times)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I struggle mightily picking a show on Netflix. Sometimes, I waste all the time I had allocated to watch the show just flipping through the different programs.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
It takes me way longer than 10 minutes to choose a new show, mainly because it’s a lot of

No

No

Maybe......nah, no

No

This is pretty much the way it goes with me. I also tend to wait a season or three before getting into a show. I just started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Stranger Things this past week.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an old boomer, but it takes me way too long. Drives my wife insane.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It takes more time for me to find at least two shows to watch, so I can flip between them during commercials.

Usually a new one and one I've seen so missing part of the one doesn't matter.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I struggle mightily picking a show on Netflix. Sometimes, I waste all the time I had allocated to watch the show just flipping through the different programs.

Same here. There are times my wife and I have flipped back-and-forth between Netflix and Amazon Prime trying to find something that interests us both and taken so long it got too late to start anything.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yep, I waste a lot of time trying to find a good movie or series to watch. My "watch list" has grown to 50+ entries because as I'm surfing along looking for something, if I come across something that looks remotely like something in might like, I add it to the list and then move along for something better. I really need to cull that down.

A lot of good suggestions come from this forum.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've been amazed to read threads here about people commenting on how awful a movie they'd watched was. Most of the time I think "How could you not know that would suck?"

I guess because people make no effort to find out anything bout it first.

(though often it's pretty obvious.. "It's got so and so in it, how could it NOY suck!?")

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post