SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    opening acts / concerts...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

opening acts / concerts... Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
Joe Cocker opening for Stevie Ray Vaughan

This was one.

Robert Cray opening for Eric Clapton was another.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pere Ubu

One of my college girlfriends is the daughter of one of those guys.

I never cared much for their music.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Van Halen opening for Aerosmith, the latter was just awful. I'm guessing at the height of their drug phase. The Boomtown Rats played before both and I remember them being pretty good. The outdoor audience pelted the band with a barrage of grass clumps and garbage.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Charlie Daniels opened for Joe Walsh (post James Gang). Daniels was great and got everyone all fired up. We were all on our feet, jumping up and down, screaming for an encore. I guess it's bad form and the opener isn't supposed to do an encore, but he did.

Walsh came out and you could tell he was PISSED. He opened with some slow, whiny, dirge-like song. Brought the crowd crashing back to earth and he never got us back.

Another memorable one was Fabulous Thunderbirds->Susan Tedeschi(before marrying Derek)->BB King

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
1979 triple bill Atlanta Fox Theater

I saw Johnny Cougar (pre Mellencamp) open the show,next came a young Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, headliners were a band from England called . . . the Kinks. Big Grin

It was a great show from top to bottom.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
saw Grand Funk open for ZZ Top
maybe, still the best show, .... ever

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Nine Inch Nails opening for David Bowie. After NIN was done you could have had.front row seats.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1972 I saw Jimmy Buffet open for Joan Baez (what a combination). We went just to hear Jimmy.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Some great openers for Brian Setzer's Christmas concerts

Low Volts - http://www.lowvoltsmusic.com
The Record Company - http://www.therecordcompany.net
Totsy - https://www.totsyband.com

I have to agree with you SJ. I bought the Totsy CD and love it! Can't wait for them to make another.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
46and2,

I was at that same concert. GnR took forever to get on stage and Axel Rose sounded horrible. The opening acts weren't too bad though. At least I think so, that was a really long time ago.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Watched Run DMC open for ZZ Top - Aloha Stadium, circa 1987

One crowds for Run DMC followed by a near total and complete crowd swap for ZZ Top.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Saw Dan Fogelberg open for the Eagles in Cincinnati in 74/75? Excellent.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Ben Folds.

Friend & I bought tickets to John Mayer with Ben Folds as the opener/first main show (pre-opener before him).
Left after the first Mayer song.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I was stationed in Germany (87-90) saw Kansas open for Blue Oyster Cult at a venue in Hanau. Blue Oyster Cult was on their european Imaginos tour.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Steve Goodman. Opened for Steve Martin. The day after the show I went out and bought every album of his that I could find.

Goodman is the real deal.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds and ZZ Top opened for the Rolling Stones in '83 or '84. Either would have been a good show all on their own.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobby "Blue" Bland opened for B.B. King.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Stone Cherry opening for Chickenfoot.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post