SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    opening acts / concerts...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

opening acts / concerts... Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Who were your memorable opening acts at concerts?

I especially liked Gary Wright, who opened for Peter Frampton. And; Yvonne Elliman for Eric Clapton, Lee Oscar for War.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a buddy and I going to see Yngwie J. Malmsteen open up for someone that I can't remember. After Malmsteen got off the stage I said to him "I'm ready to go how about you"? We left and went to the bar. The technicality in his playing was awesome.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Steve Goodman. Opened for Steve Martin. The day after the show I went out and bought every album of his that I could find.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Steve Goodman. Opened for Steve Martin. The day after the show I went out and bought every album of his that I could find.

This.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I saw Bon Jovi open for .38 Special back in 1986 or 87. The tables turned quickly there.

More recently, a month or so ago I saw Reckless Kelly in Charlotte and there was an opening band called Blue Water Highway that was excellent. I bought both cd's they had for sale and have been listening to them pretty much nonstop since.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The one that sticks out the most for me - 1977 went to see Queen and the opening was Thin Lizzy. I came away duly impressed by them. If not for Stone Cold Crazy, they probably stole the show for me.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Stevie Wonder immediately came to mind. He opened for the Rolling Stones the first time I saw them. It was an amazing show. I believe he played every instrument on the stage.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Saw Pere Ubu open for the Pixies in late 91 in Cincinnati. Never exactly was a huge fan of them but they were certainly interesting at the time.

https://youtu.be/1hYqvtHzr48

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Saw Journey open for the Stones in '78 at soldier field. Some girls tour. I think wheel in the sky was the journey hit at that time, before they broke out in the '80's.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In '88 I saw Guns & Roses (and Iggy Pop, Ziggy Marley, and the Smithereens) open for INXS on their Kick tour in Texas Stadium when GnR's Appetite for Destruction was also new.

That was pretty epic, as far as opening bands (and the headliner go). Both bands, and the Kick album and Appetite for Destruction, were YUGE and just getting going at that point.

And back when Queensryche's Operation Mind Crime was new I saw them three times on that tour because they kept coming back to town opening for different headliners, AC/DC, Ozzy, and I forget the other one - maybe Metallica.

When in college Beck came to town and had the Flaming Lips as the opening band and his backing band, so the whole thing just sort of wove together in an interesting way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Cars opened for Styx

Guns n Roses opened for Metallica

Many more which memory fails me on

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
In the 80's I saw Til Tuesday open for Hall & Oates. In the 90's I saw Third Eye Blind open for U2. TEB was better that night.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Two years ago we saw The Band Perry open for Rascal Flatts in Missoula, Montana. Wonderful night of entertainment

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Joe Cocker opening for Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Guy opening for B.B. King are two that stick out.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerious
posted Hide Post
Two that stand out.

Metallica opening for Ozzy
SRV opening for the Moody Blues

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

Posts: 2120 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some great openers for Brian Setzer's Christmas concerts

Low Volts - http://www.lowvoltsmusic.com
The Record Company - http://www.therecordcompany.net
Totsy - https://www.totsyband.com

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Motley Crue opened for Ozzy
Metallica opened for Ozzy
.38 Special opened for Bad Company

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
In the 80's I saw Til Tuesday open for Hall & Oates.

I saw that tour, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Only time I instantly became a fan was Korn opening for Metallica. Id never heard of them but when Jonathan Davis came out in a kilt playing the bagpipes... well they blew my mind and I went and picked up their album the following morning. Been a fan ever since.

Other notable ones,
White Zombie opening for Pantera.
Rammstein for Korn
Coal Chamber for Megadeth

Notable in that they were absolutely horrible, Mike Patton opening for TOOL and Jamiroquai opening for Rolling Stones. Both were booed off stage.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Saw Pere Ubu open for the Pixies in late 91 in Cincinnati. Never exactly was a huge fan of them but they were certainly interesting at the time.

https://youtu.be/1hYqvtHzr48

would like to have seen that,

just the few I can remember

burning spear (talking heads )
opening for Costello

nick lowe
talk talk
Aztec camera
and a schload more I may remember later,

others,

the minutemen
10000 maniacs
nick lowe again, cannot remember who the opener was,,

peter bjorn (probably spelled that wrong) opened for Coldplay

bad manners
go go's, opened for the police,

been to 75 ish concerts in the past 30+ years,,

some really good no name acts,

some that really sucked,

do recall a group called Diamond Rings,
dude was awesome, in a 80's disco kinda way,
thinking he opened for Capital Cities

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post