SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battlestar Galactica, Yea or Nay?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battlestar Galactica, Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I was a fan of the original Battlestar Galactica TV show, even though it did seem a little like a Star Trek ripoff. However, when the series was remade in 2004, it turned me off.

My biggest objection was the "humanizing" of the Cylons. To me, one of the biggest attractions of the original show were the emotionless automatons with their evil red, constantly oscillating "eye" beams. Turning them into human form with emotions and appearances seemed to contradict the basic premise of the show.

I see now the the Sy-Fy channel is showing the entire remake -- the two-part miniseries and the made-for-tv series. Since there isn't much new to attract my attention, and I have a three-day work-free weekend, I'm wondering if it's worth the time for me to do some binge-watching, or if I should just forget it and look for something newer?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yay! All day long and twice on tuesday. In BSG remake the premise is we created Cylons and they evolved. The show is built around they dark question why do humans deserve to live? frequently the answer is we don't. Great show if you like dark scifi.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you enjoy an excellent sci-fi story, with political intrigue alongside philosophical ideas about who we are and what we’re capable of accomplishing, with the occasional awesome shoot-em-up episode.

Nay, if you can’t stand political themes, a character who’s self-absorbed and oblivious to the harm he’s constantly creating by covering his ass, and the lack of action and light-hearted interplay between characters as seen in the original series.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I absolutely loved the reboot. Some may not, but I thought it was a great series. Give it a try!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
This was one of the best syfy series I binged.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you liked the original, you'll live the remake.

It has some meh parts but for the most part it's very good scifi.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Man...that's like asking "Kirk or Picard"? Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
To me, this TV show was much better than Star Trek, Star Wars, Ballestar Galactica (original or remake).

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I was a fan of the original Battlestar Galactica TV show, even though it did seem a little like a Star Trek ripoff.

I never bothered because I thought it was downright hokey.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I see now the the Sy-Fy channel is showing the entire remake -- ... I'm wondering if it's worth the time for me to do some binge-watching, or if I should just forget it and look for something newer?

My wife and I enjoyed it so much that, after we lost access to it on subscription TV we went out and bought all the DVDs/BDs as soon as each season became available. Yup: We have the entire series on disc Big Grin

It's a really, really well-done space drama. The very last season gets a bit mystical-jumping-the-shark-ish, IIRC.

We will watch the entire thing, again, someday.

Hell, Tricia Helfer (as "Number Six") in that red dress, alone, makes it worthwhile Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I loved it all the way up to the last season. I pretend the last season doesn't exist and simply hasn't been released yet...

Tricia Helfer deserves more respect. She's awesome on the show in addition to being extremely easy on the eyes.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
BSG original, BSG Reboot, Razor, Blood and Chrome, Caprica, The Plan, et all, are a pretty immersive lot. They each bring something new and interesting to the BSG universe.

If you're going to go all in on the BSG universe, you will have to suspend your disbelief to some extent. Even BSG TOS has a hokey look and feel.

I vote for yea. It's not for everyone, but if you want binge-worthy entertainment for the next six months, you could do worse.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Yay. I liked it a lot.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Great series. The ending sucked, but it was worth the ride.

Also, Babylon 5 is the shit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s absolutely worth the watch. What is maybe not, is the spinoff series called “Caprica,” which started off pretty good and turned into miserable drudgery before wrapping up in a sloppy rush because it got canceled. That said, it did give the backstory on the creation of the Cylons, so if you’re super into BSG, you may find some value in it. But do watch the reboot of the main series. It’s good.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Man...that's like asking "Kirk or Picard"? Big Grin

The answer to that is “yes.” Big Grin

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Great show up until the end, then they screwed the pooch.

Like Game of Thrones, the writers had absolutely no idea how to wrap it up. The stupid was strong.

I agree with copaup. Skip the last season and you will be happier.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I just could not get on board with Edward James Olmos as Adama.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There are several spinoff mini movies like Razor, The Plan and Blood and Chrome that ties it all together with Caprica that explains who Adama truly is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34083 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

He was one of our favorite characters in the series.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The new one has very little middle ground. What was good was REALLY good and what was bad was REALLY bad. They never could get mediocre right. The miniseries has some good scenes, but is way too long. The series is overall good, but is overrated and is really going to be dated in the next few years being stuck in the 2000's dour despair.

And yes, Babylon 5 is a much better show made on far less of a budget, has a story that is timeless, and pioneered a lot of the innovation that BSG receives accolades for.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

He was one of our favorite characters in the series.
Yeah, I thought he was perfect for the role.

quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Like Game of Thrones, the writers had absolutely no idea how to wrap it up.

Yeah, the ending wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. Meh is how I think of the end.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post