SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battlestar Galactica, Yea or Nay?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battlestar Galactica, Yea or Nay? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I see now the the Sy-Fy channel is showing the entire remake -- the two-part miniseries and the made-for-tv series. Since there isn't much new to attract my attention, and I have a three-day work-free weekend, I'm wondering if it's worth the time for me to do some binge-watching, or if I should just forget it and look for something newer?

I enjoyed it but never finished it. Part of that is my problem I suppose. (I have my own history of not finishing series.)
Having said that, I found this be an almost realistic review of BSG:
Old news for those who have binged.
https://youtu.be/yYjLrJRuMnY

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dsiets,

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I prefer the reboot to the original.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Killing off Starbuck in the original 1970's BSG was brutal for the time.

Leaving him to starve to death alone, completely marooned on a barren planet.

That was in "Galactica 1980", and that didn't happen. Big Grin

In fact I find that episode was meant to be a two-parter with Starbuck being picked up by the Ships of Light and becoming one of their inhabitants in the second part. But the show was cancelled while the latter was being shot.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
In the episode "Pegasus" where the Pegasus (duh) first appears, the music is outstanding. It set the tone perfectly, and that scene was one of my favorite across ALL television (sci fi and other). The music throughout the series, starting with the miniseries, was outstanding. I've never seen/heard television that used music to this effect before or since. I think this is one of the best, and most overlooked, aspects of this show - how they used music to really set and maintain the tone of the show throughout its 4 seasons.

I too am a big Battlestar Galactica fan of both the original and reboot series. As Hound Dog mentioned the reboot had some very beautiful music scores. One of my favorite music scores too of the series is the Pegasus discovery episode. God Bless !!!

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3056 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I loved the original series. I know, some scenes were almost as cheesy as some of the 1970's Doctor Who stuff (which I also loved, so go figure). But just out of college I went to work for the company that built all of the display and "medical" equipment for the show, so I kind of had a dog int the fight and HAD to root for it.

The remake, not so much. Casting a girl in the role of Starbuck, the ultimate cigar smoking womanizer? WTH? It was almost as disgustingly PC as Star Trek Voyager (gag!). That said, some of it was actually pretty good, I just couldn't stay interested enough to stick it out. Oh, and if you liked it because Katie Sackhoff was hot, you wanna check out Longmire on Netflix.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a great show. There is also a funny Portlandia skit about binge watching BSG.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Its a great show. There is also a funny Portlandia skit about binge watching BSG.

+

Or you could check 5 posts above yours, unless I'm on ignore. Wink

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
It's been 2-1/2 months since I posted my original query, and I'm now on Season 4, Episode 5. All I can think to myself is, "Dear God, will this ever end???"

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but having gotten this far, I'm going to stick it out through the very (painful) end.

But I can't count the number of times I feel this series has jumped the rails. Whew.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's been 2-1/2 months since I posted my original query, and I'm now on Season 4, Episode 5. All I can think to myself is, "Dear God, will this ever end???"

But I can't count the number of times I feel this series has jumped the rails. Whew.

It's been a while since we watched it (we have the entire series on DVD/BD), but, IIRC, it went off the rails after season... three, I'm thinking?

I'm now kind of regretting having paid the money to collect the entire series.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but having gotten this far, I'm going to stick it out through the very (painful) end.

Yeah, it can feel like a long slog at times. Some of the stuff is very, very good, but at other times it’s like WTF?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I think after they leave New Caprica, it gets bad. The Apollo/Starbuck soap opera, the 'war crime tribunals', then the All Along the Watchtower stuff.....just tedious.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I just could not get on board with Edward James Olmos as Adama.

He was one of our favorite characters in the series.

Olmos as Adama was interesting. I enjoyed him in this roll. Olmos said he took the role because he couldn't recall a Mexican in Space. Nor could I.

I recall reading once that Olmos had a clause in his contract that if they ever brought out some rubber-faced alien he would fake a heart attack on screen and they would have to write him out of the series. Big Grin

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I think after they leave New Caprica, it gets bad. The Apollo/Starbuck soap opera, the 'war crime tribunals', then the All Along the Watchtower stuff.....just tedious.
Definitely a downward spiral, especially since it was so flat in the end.

Not awful and def. worth finishing it out, but a semi-typical case of lots of really interesting threads from earlier seasons that the writers just couldn't bring to a really successful end.

Kind of like the end of Lost.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Syfy channel is having a BSG marathon right now - I had seen these when they originally came out, but I had forgotten how good some of the episodes are.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The spin off mini series like Razor, Blood and Chrome explains many things.

Just like in every war there were collaborators and the mindset of the enemy is always the same with traitors.

"Do you think because you're more enlightened than the rest of your species we hate you any less?"

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I am overwhelmed with "stuff to watch" right now, but I do plan on re-watching the series when I can.

Tricia Helfer...... Razz

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I can't bring myself to watch this.

I won't watch the Bridge's True Grit either. Maybe it's just me.

The cylons were developed by another race, and exterminated them, appropriating their name. Then they tangled with the humans and exterminating them became their new goal. Cylons weren't developed by humans. They didn't look like humans, especially tremendously hot ones, that are fleshly squishy in all the right places.

I understand bringing out new models, and reimagining stuff, but I don't watch Star Trek Discovery for their yet again (contractually obligated) reimagining of the appearance of Klingons either (among other PC reasons).

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

The cylons were developed by another race, and exterminated them, appropriating their name. Then they tangled with the humans and exterminating them became their new goal. Cylons weren't developed by humans. They didn't look like humans, especially tremendously hot ones, that are fleshly squishy in all the right places.

Yeah, it took me years to get over the 'humanoid' Cylons. I don't care if they have FTL flight and other hi-tech toys - I cannot believe any manufactured being that is indistinguishable from a real human. Once I actually started watching the show, though, I got mostly over it. There is some really good drama and some outstanding episodes.

Also, the original BSG (Galactica 1980) had 'humanoid' Cylons, but many people pretend that series never happened.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Galactica 1980 was a spin off, not TOS.
IIRC it also had Harleys that could fly, if you extended the cargo pods on the back laterally.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post