SIGforum
Wild Bunch Remake

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/1920081844

October 10, 2018, 09:46 PM
NK402
Wild Bunch Remake
Apparently Mel Gibson has plans to remake The Wild Bunch with Russell Crowe in the Bill Holden role. Anyone else think this is ill-advised ?
October 10, 2018, 09:57 PM
cslinger
The Wild Bunch is one of those movies made by just the right crazy drugged up bastard with just the right cast that it simply cannot be done again.

I am not saying a remake can’t be fun or action packed or well acted but it simply cannot ever be the Wild Bunch

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
October 10, 2018, 10:32 PM
Ripley
No, just stop it now. Mad

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
October 11, 2018, 05:23 AM
recoatlift
What's Gibson going to improve on? How about some originality from Hollywood?
October 11, 2018, 08:18 AM
marksman41
The original had a grittiness and strangeness to it that felt weird and off, but was so on. I don't think anyone in Hollywood today can capture those same qualities and put them on the screen like Peckinpaugh could. Lean and wisened, Holden was perfect for his role - as was Borgnine and the others. Superb casting, excellent and realistic acting, and one of a kind movie direction.

I like most of Mel's movies, and am impressed with the one's he's directed, but I just don't know about this one. Sometimes something is so good the first time that any attempt to redo or remake it just falls flat.

October 11, 2018, 09:27 AM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Mel Gibson has plans to remake The Wild Bunch

Nope.

Mel, get your own goddamn idea.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
October 11, 2018, 01:56 PM
sigspecops
There are some westerns that could benefit from a remake with a competent director but not this one. Just leave it alone.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
October 11, 2018, 02:46 PM
Aquabird
When I came out of the theater after viewing this movie, I thought; What a great movie.
I never changed my mind on that.
Not sure it could be improved upon.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
October 11, 2018, 02:53 PM
parabellum
Blasphemy

Good grief

Sam Peckinpah was a genius, and you, Mel, are not.
October 11, 2018, 09:32 PM
oddball
I swear, they're gonna remake Citizen Kane into a modern era glop with James Franco and The Godfather with Johnny Depp.

Hollywood has no soul, no creativity left.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
October 11, 2018, 11:59 PM
eTripper
How in the fuck are you gonna improve on a creative masterpiece? Also, the supporting actors of the calibre used, just don't exist anymore. Who are they going to cast in the roles that L.Q. Jones, and Strother Martin played? Mark Ruffalo, and Ice Cube?

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch
October 14, 2018, 05:33 PM
bayouman
This is truly stupid. Clearly Hollywood has no remaining creative ability.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.
October 14, 2018, 05:51 PM
Captain Morgan
Hollywood blasphemy.
Russell Crowe is a bad choice. I like him in many other movies but this role is not for him. Maybe for Borgnines part but not the lead.
Josh Brolin would be better in that role.

There are movies out there that never reached their potential that should be remade, why choose this one.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin
October 14, 2018, 08:28 PM
GWbiker
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Apparently Mel Gibson has plans to remake The Wild Bunch with Russell Crowe in the Bill Holden role. Anyone else think this is ill-advised ?

Yeah, I think it's a stupid idea.

I have the original "Wild Bunch" on DVD and it's a classic.

But.....if Gibson wants to piss away his money, well, then go for it Mel.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
October 15, 2018, 09:58 AM
JSW
I like Gibson as an actor and director but there is no way he could make anything but a pale imitation of the original. Go find some new idea to make a movie from.

Wilsonblog
October 16, 2018, 08:16 PM
andronicus
Well, Gibson does have the crazy part nailed down. And he might be drunk while filming?