SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek and seat belts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek and seat belts Login/Join 
posted
I am sure others may have noted this in the past, and may have commented on it here. I happened to be watching a Star Trek movie, and a ship gets hit by a photon torpedo. All of the crew are thrown out of their chairs violently. This happens frequently in all of the various incarnations of Star Trek. I don't recall a single episode of Star Trek, either TV or movie, where any of the chairs were equipped with seat belts. Wondering why the advance technology of seat belts got lost in the Star Trek universe? Any thoughts?

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
That kind of irked me too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
I don't recall a single episode of Star Trek, either TV or movie, where any of the chairs were equipped with seat belts.

The newest JJ Abrams Star Trek movies have seat belts that automatically deploy out of the chairs.

The shuttles in The Next Generation are shown as having seat belts.

And in the 1980s Star Trek movies, the chairs have a few different styles of retaining armrests that lock down over their thighs or around the waist to keep crew in their seats.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I may be mis-remembering, but I seem to recall some form of seat belts being used in the first Chris Pine ST movie, they looked like a harness that auto attached from the shoulders down.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
EAMI (Electro Ass Magnet Implants)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same people who didn’t install seat belts also couldn’t figure out how to wire consoles so that they didn’t explode in the faces of crew members every time they were fired upon.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge life-long TrekNerd, and I never noticed the seat arms thing on the Excelsior from Star Trek III. . . Frown

They had a deleted scene from I think Star Trek Nemesis, where they showed Picard an automatic deploying seatbelt, like seen on the clip from the JJTrek movie that RogueJSK posted. I think Picard said "It's about time!"

Lack of seatbelts was a lame plot gimmick. It helped the bridge look 'futuristic,' yet also gave immediate visual drama to show when the Enterprise was REALLY hit hard. I always thought it was lame.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hound Dog,

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Sort of like the lost technology of guardrails in Star Wars.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Starting with TNG era, star ships have inertial dampeners to soften the blow. It does go offline sometimes, and that's when people get thrown like rag-dolls.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Why didn't the Enterprise in TOS carry spare dilithium crystals? The ship was in deep shit when they went bad. Being only the size of a man's fist, a five-gallon bucket could have carried enough for the whole five-year mission.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If they were wearing red shirts it didn’t matter, they were toast anyway.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it all about "inertial dampeners"? You know, sudden jumps to warp speed, sudden stops and jolts...inertial dampeners were "standard equipment" on star ships. It was the "group lean" and the "all fall down" scenes that were the flaws in the action.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post