SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Absence of Western/Pioneer/Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absence of Western/Pioneer/Books Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I like to read, and the bigger the book, if interesting makes it better.

However, my visits to my libraries, the past year or so never turns up any western saga books. I just think its not a genre that writers cover as much anymore.

Spent so many pleasant evenings and nights reading Terri Johnston books, Don Coldsmiths works and many others, and really miss reading new material , especially books similar to Lonesome Dove.

I could go back and reread those books, but guess my point is, the Western genre seems to be fading in writing circles.

But one of my local libraries recently purged their circulation of books, (stupid move), so I doubt I could even find any of those books.

Any SF members notice this ?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Longmire mystery series by Craig Johnson takes place in modern-day rural Wyoming - sort of a updated western in many ways.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Michael Zimmer is an author I enjoy reading, his western "The Poacher's Daughter" was very good.

I will have to look up the Longmire books. Thanks for the information.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
If you haven't read it, Centennial by James Michener is a fantastic book.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
If you haven't yet read Brules by Harry Coombs. A epic western saga.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The William Johnstone 'Preacher' series is entertaining.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I thought this was a very good western book written by an author who currently lives in AZ. He has written a few books. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Grassho...nhagen/dp/1936107643

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
If you haven't yet read Brules by Harry Coombs. A epic western saga.

You are a good man! I have read and own all of Mr Combs western books, Brules, The Scout, and the final book, legend of the Painted Horse.

Read Brules many years ago, I have always thought, if I could be anyone else, it would be Cat Brules. The sorry local library even purged that book, couldn't believe that!

Just sad that no young person now will be able to read one persons imagination of what it would be like to live unrestrained in the early west.

My thread has drifted some, but thats okay, i have learned about sme good books I didn't know about, but my belief still stands,that the Western saga books and authors are diminishing.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
There's always room to reread The Sacketts.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

I've read every Louis L'Amour. Some twice. A few three or more times.

There's enough of them that once you get through you can start over and it's like you never read them Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
While not really set in the "Old West", you might like the "Frontiersmen" series by Allan Eckert, which is set in the post-American Revolution frontier of Kentucky and the old Northwest Territories (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan). Lots of historical research went into his writing of those books. The books might be hard to find as it's been sometime since they were written.

https://www.goodreads.com/book...650.The_Frontiersmen

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Have you read Mari Sandoz? Both fiction and non-fiction. She was born in 1896 in western Nebraska, daughter of a Swiss immigrant pioneer. She's terrific

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

I've read every Louis L'Amour. Some twice. A few three or more times.

There's enough of them that once you get through you can start over and it's like you never read them Wink

Conagher is one of my favorites, especially picturing Sam Eliott as Conagher.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post